EDVA career clerkship

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ihadadream

New

EDVA career clerkship

Postby ihadadream » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Hello. I just saw on OSCAR that a judge on the EDVA is hiring a career clerk. Has anyone clerked/interned on the EDVA? They call it the "rocket docket." Does that equate to more work for the clerks? What's the culture like (friendly, rude, etc.)? Also, does anyone know anything about Judge Thomas Ellis specifically (e.g., personality). Thanks.

axel.foley

Bronze

Re: EDVA career clerkship

Postby axel.foley » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Best to post this in the clerkship forum: viewforum.php?f=34

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 pm

axel.foley wrote:Best to post this in the clerkship forum: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=34

I've moved it to the clerkship forum.

polareagle

Bronze

Postby polareagle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:05 pm

ihadadream wrote:Hello. I just saw on OSCAR that a judge on the EDVA is hiring a career clerk. Has anyone clerked/interned on the EDVA? They call it the "rocket docket." Does that equate to more work for the clerks? What's the culture like (friendly, rude, etc.)? Also, does anyone know anything about Judge Thomas Ellis specifically (e.g., personality). Thanks.

I would call T.S. Ellis efficient, formal, and brusque, at least externally. I have no idea how he treats his staff, though.

P.S. When you (or at least when I) google T.S. Ellis, Google displays a picture of an older black man (former congressman William Jefferson, who Ellis sentenced). Judge Ellis is instead an older white man. Not sure that it matters, but would hate for you to show up to an interview and be surprised!

ihadadream

New

Postby ihadadream » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:08 am

Thanks for the information.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:38 pm

I interned for the prosecutor's office at EDVA, which is in the same building as the court. I loved it there (as an intern, at least). Everyone there was nice and collegial. It's a bit more formal than other district courts that I've come across, but the practice level is very high (a good number of AUSAs there are former Williams & Connolly / Covington associates). The 'rocket docket' rep means that you're constantly doing substantive stuff, less box-checking, as a clerk. I sat in on a trial before O'Grady, and have nothing but positive things to say about him. Don't know about the other judges.

Lastly, I would rate Alexandria very high in terms of places to live in this country. It's expensive as hell, but if you can afford it, it's a very beautiful city, and just a 15-minute Metro ride from DC.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�