Chances of landing state Supreme Court clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chances of landing state Supreme Court clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:14 am

I'm a fraction below top third at a T20. I know that this doesn't put me in a great position. But I honestly don't know much about clerkships in general, much less state Supreme Court clerkships and what they're looking for.

The reason I'm asking is because my boss in my job I had before law school is personal friends with one of the justices. I told my old boss (who knows me really well) that OCI didn't go so well for me and he told me that he would be willing to call his friend to set up an interview and profess to my writing/research skills. I've also discussed this with one of the professors at my school who I'm on really good terms with who has solid connections to my target market and is willing to put in a call on my behalf.

I also have deep ties to the state (family and state UG), which is a relatively smaller/insular market.

Any advice/direction would be great. I'm sorry if I'm totally ignorant and 1/3ish at a T20 disqualifies me, but I just honestly don't know much about the process.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Chances of landing state Supreme Court clerkship?

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:36 am

It depends on the state. The biggest question is: Do you want to practice in that state? If you do, it'll be very valuable experience. A personal connection will be big. Your credentials won't rule you out with a personal connection. Although, if it's a hyper-competitive state, it'll not be easy.

That all said, if he can get you the interview, might as well go for it if you want to practice in that state.

Also, do you want to do litigation? What is your goal for a job after the clerkship?(Government? Firm? Size of firm?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:46 am

lawman84 wrote:It depends on the state. The biggest question is: Do you want to practice in that state? If you do, it'll be very valuable experience. A personal connection will be big. Your credentials won't rule you out with a personal connection. Although, if it's a hyper-competitive state, it'll not be easy.

That all said, if he can get you the interview, might as well go for it if you want to practice in that state.

Also, do you want to do litigation? What is your goal for a job after the clerkship?(Government? Firm? Size of firm?)

Thank you for the response.

To answer your questions: the state is sparsely populated and I've never heard of anyone who's not from there wanting to work there. It's not exactly a destination state.

In terms of practicing in the state, it's not exactly my first choice, but I wouldn't mind it. My family is there, there's lots of opportunity there, and I could totally see myself spending the rest of my life there. I wanted to "go off on my own" and try a different part of the country, but if I can land a good legal job there then I totally wouldn't mind going back.

Yes, I want to do litigation. I've had some tastes of transactional work and don't like it. If I were to go back to my home state for this clerkship, my goal after would probably be to go to a midsize (i.e. 30-100 attorney) firm in the market. I know some of the partners at the local midsize firms and they've told me that getting a State Supreme Court clerkship goes a long way for them.

Government is another option as well. Prior to law school I worked at one of the top organizations in the state, and the organization has really strong political connections.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:It depends on the state. The biggest question is: Do you want to practice in that state? If you do, it'll be very valuable experience. A personal connection will be big. Your credentials won't rule you out with a personal connection. Although, if it's a hyper-competitive state, it'll not be easy.

To answer your questions: the state is sparsely populated and I've never heard of anyone who's not from there wanting to work there. It's not exactly a destination state.

In terms of practicing in the state, it's not exactly my first choice, but I wouldn't mind it. My family is there, there's lots of opportunity there, and I could totally see myself spending the rest of my life there. I wanted to "go off on my own" and try a different part of the country, but if I can land a good legal job there then I totally wouldn't mind going back.

Yes, I want to do litigation. I've had some tastes of transactional work and don't like it. If I were to go back to my home state for this clerkship, my goal after would probably be to go to a midsize (i.e. 30-100 attorney) firm in the market. I know some of the partners at the local midsize firms and they've told me that getting a State Supreme Court clerkship goes a long way for them.

Government is another option as well. Prior to law school I worked at one of the top organizations in the state, and the organization has really strong political connections.

Then I recommend going for it. Your grades won't rule you out, and your connection to the justice will get you in the door. From there, it's all on you. If the justice extends an interview, you have the credentials. From there, it's generally about fit.

A SSC clerkship definitely aligns well with your goals. If you get it, use that time to network with mid-sized firms in the market and stay in contact to figure out which will have openings. You'll also have networking opportunities simply because of your position. Make use of them.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:19 am

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Then I recommend going for it. Your grades won't rule you out, and your connection to the justice will get you in the door. From there, it's all on you. If the justice extends an interview, you have the credentials. From there, it's generally about fit.

A SSC clerkship definitely aligns well with your goals. If you get it, use that time to network with mid-sized firms in the market and stay in contact to figure out which will have openings. You'll also have networking opportunities simply because of your position. Make use of them.

I agree with all of this. It's definitely worth an application given your connection - grades might still end up disqualifying you, but you won't know unless you apply.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Postby BVest » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�