Missed the boat, right?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Missed the boat, right?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 pm

2L, haven't applied for anything yet. I feel like half my class has clerkships. What the hell? Did I completely miss the boat for 2018 clerkships or what?

Anon because I'm embarrassed that I apparently was supposed to be applying last June or something.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Missed the boat, right?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:05 am

Hiring is getting done earlier and earlier but I think there are still some judges who want to see 3 semesters of grades. Also, clerking a year or two out after graduation is an option, too. Have you talked to your clerkship office? (Admittedly some may not be up on the changing hiring patterns but they really should be.) But you might want to line up recommendations and start getting applications out ASAP.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:27 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Hiring is getting done earlier and earlier but I think there are still some judges who want to see 3 semesters of grades. Also, clerking a year or two out after graduation is an option, too. Have you talked to your clerkship office? (Admittedly some may not be up on the changing hiring patterns but they really should be.) But you might want to line up recommendations and start getting applications out ASAP.

+1

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:29 am

Yeah, some positions are probably filled but some are probably still available. Regardless of whether the filled/available split is closer to 20/80 or 80/20, there's basically no downside (just time and expense) to getting your materials together and applying, particularly if there's any chance that you'd consider clerking during a later term.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:16 am

No, you haven't missed the boat. There will be plenty of district court clerkships available over the next 10 months. And there will still be quite a few circuit clerkships available in the circuits that move later. You'll have plenty of opportunities if you have a strong enough application.

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:23 am

lawman84 wrote:No, you haven't missed the boat. There will be plenty of district court clerkships available over the next 10 months. And there will still be quite a few circuit clerkships available in the circuits that move later. You'll have plenty of opportunities if you have a strong enough application.

+1

Fireworks2016

New

Postby Fireworks2016 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:21 am

I didn't get my Fed. Dist. Ct. clerkship until the summer after 2L. Your State Supreme Court (or courts that you'd be interested in practicing in) also haven't hired yet in most places.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Many district court judges require their clerks to have work experience and therefore hire no earlier than 2L summer for a start date 2-3 years out. Still plenty of time for you.

intlsplitr

Bronze

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm

I got my dist. ct. clerkship in the fall of 3L , and started in September after graduation. There are definitely fewer slots available, but there is still time.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�