Start Date Flexibility?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
onionz

Bronze

Start Date Flexibility?

Postby onionz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:44 am

This is probably one of those judge-specific things where I'll get yelled at to call chambers, but anecdotal evidence is appreciated: how much flexibility is there for start dates? If one says August for example, but you have another clerkship ending in October, is it worth trying to see if accommodations can be made?

mjb447

Silver

Re: Start Date Flexibility?

Postby mjb447 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 pm

August to October might be a bit of a stretch, but it mostly depends on what your predecessor clerk's schedule looks like. Chambers staffing is usually pretty lean, so it's generally important that the terms dovetail as neatly as possible.

Where are you in the process with these judges? Are you just trying to gauge whether it would be worth applying? If so, you may be able to indicate your date limitations in your cover letter.

onionz

Bronze

Postby onionz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:06 pm

I have one clerkship ending in October '19 and looking at the '19-20 term now and trying to figure out how wide to cast my net. I suppose putting it directly in my cover letter to applications and seeing the response is good way to start. Thanks for the advice.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:41 pm

You're welcome. I'm not sure it would be a problem to call chambers - I hate doing it and can be risk-averse to the point of being paranoid, but usually it's not a problem if you're respectful and don't ask a question you could have answered somewhere else. That said, October is a late end date and a lot of clerkships are posted with a late August or early September start date, so putting something in your cover letter could address the issue more systematically if you're applying to lots of judges. (Chambers also might not have an answer to your question if you ask it directly right now - some judges narrow the field a bit before evaluating which of the candidates' schedules they can accommodate.)

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:53 am

onionz wrote:This is probably one of those judge-specific things where I'll get yelled at to call chambers, but anecdotal evidence is appreciated: how much flexibility is there for start dates? If one says August for example, but you have another clerkship ending in October, is it worth trying to see if accommodations can be made?

There is usually only flexibility within the month, i.e. if you have one clerkship starting in October 2018, and the next in October 2019. You won't get flexibility to end a clerkship two months early, or start one two months late. Judges prefer their clerks stay no less than a year. Further, just as an FYI, you are only eligible for benefits (such as health insurance), for appointments of at least one year and one day. If you were to try and set yourself up for a 10 month clerkship, you would not be eligible for any benefits.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�