Bonus for 2 clerkships?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bonus for 2 clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Question for you folks, I am currently in my second fed clerkship. My first clerkship however, was only 5 months long. I was finishing off someone else's term who had left. Upon finishing that, I began a traditional full term clerkship with a different fed judge.

Assuming I go biglaw after, in a major market, what are the chances that I get bonus credit for two clerkships as opposed to one? Is this something I can negotiate? I've noticed some firms use language that you get x dollars for clerking for one judge, and x dollars for clerking for two judges. Whereas other firms use the language x dollars for a one year clerkship and x dollars for two years.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Bonus for 2 clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:01 pm

This seems like the kind of thing that you could negotiate once you get an offer. Some firms are more open to bargaining re: clerkship bonuses than they might seem at first. My advice would be to apply to the places you want to work, then broach the subject after you get an offer. (Hopefully at least one place will give you the higher bonus, so maybe you can use that as leverage with the others.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:This seems like the kind of thing that you could negotiate once you get an offer. Some firms are more open to bargaining re: clerkship bonuses than they might seem at first. My advice would be to apply to the places you want to work, then broach the subject after you get an offer. (Hopefully at least one place will give you the higher bonus, so maybe you can use that as leverage with the others.)

Thanks for the input! I like that idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 pm

I know someone who got 100k for 2 clerkships (D Ct / COA). Granted, they were with prestigious judges in highly sought after areas with lots of cases in this clerk's practice area.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�