Underperforming with regard to Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bretby

Bronze

Re: Underperforming with regard to Clerkship

Post by bretby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think underperforming your clerkship numbers is really a thing, in part because hiring isn't just about numbers. In the end it boils down to a judge who interviews you deciding they'd like to work with you for a year. I don't think there's any level of stats that guarantees a feeder will hire you, and so therefore, not getting a feeder doesn't mean you underperformed. And I don't think there are really prestige distinctions worth making beyond feeder/non-feeder - all COAs are hard to get. (I'm sure there *are* people who parse this kind of thing incredibly fine, but I think it's a waste of energy.)

But to your original question, you're not going to be disadvantaged (except to the extent any non-SCOTUS clerk is, like the OSG stuff), and worrying about whether your COA clerkship is going to disadvantage you sounds a little tone-deaf.
Given the importance of geniality and collegiality in clerkship interviews, if you present in person like you do online, that might have a more significant impact on your future opportunities than the circuit.

eta: this was directed at the OP, not Nony.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Underperforming with regard to Clerkship

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:58 pm

bretby wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think underperforming your clerkship numbers is really a thing, in part because hiring isn't just about numbers. In the end it boils down to a judge who interviews you deciding they'd like to work with you for a year. I don't think there's any level of stats that guarantees a feeder will hire you, and so therefore, not getting a feeder doesn't mean you underperformed. And I don't think there are really prestige distinctions worth making beyond feeder/non-feeder - all COAs are hard to get. (I'm sure there *are* people who parse this kind of thing incredibly fine, but I think it's a waste of energy.)

But to your original question, you're not going to be disadvantaged (except to the extent any non-SCOTUS clerk is, like the OSG stuff), and worrying about whether your COA clerkship is going to disadvantage you sounds a little tone-deaf.
Given the importance of geniality and collegiality in clerkship interviews, if you present in person like you do online, that might have a more significant impact on your future opportunities than the circuit.

eta: this was directed at the OP, not Nony.
BOOOOOOOOOOM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”