How long between application and interview?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 324690
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How long between application and interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:07 pm

For those of you who have gotten clerkships and/or interviews for clerkships, how long did it take from when you submitted your application to when you heard back for an interview?

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby rpupkin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Response time ranges from a couple of days to several months, depending on several factors.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324690
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Same day (local judge), 3 days, 4 days, a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. (I started the process about 7 weeks ago)

It's a longer, and honestly, worse process than biglaw hiring. I was early for a handful of them, so I'm still waiting to hear back.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Anywhere between 24 hours and 2 months.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324690
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same day (local judge), 3 days, 4 days, a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. (I started the process about 7 weeks ago)

It's a longer, and honestly, worse process than biglaw hiring. I was early for a handful of them, so I'm still waiting to hear back.


Congrats! Are you a 2L, 3L, or working? Are you applying primarily to CoAs or district courts? That's incredible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324690
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same day (local judge), 3 days, 4 days, a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks. (I started the process about 7 weeks ago)

It's a longer, and honestly, worse process than biglaw hiring. I was early for a handful of them, so I'm still waiting to hear back.


Congrats! Are you a 2L, 3L, or working? Are you applying primarily to CoAs or district courts? That's incredible.


Working, but just started. 5 district and 1 magistrate (the 3 weeks one). I'm a very average candidate to be honest (no law review, no latin honors, and most of my decent qualifications come with a "but...") I think the only reason I get interviews is because I'm willing to go anywhere but the Virgin Islands for a D.Ct. clerkship.

You'll get something; it takes a little while, and you don't want to be the first person interviewed anyway.

Jchance

Silver
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Jchance » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:24 am

Could even be a year or more. Sometimes a judge collects all apps in a pile before reviewing them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324690
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 am

Fair. OP here. I'm a 2L who isn't qualified for feeders but has at least an outside chance at CoA. I'd imagine things can move slower for jobs that start 2 years from now than for the 2017 term. (Here's to hoping, at least.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 324690
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fair. OP here. I'm a 2L who isn't qualified for feeders but has at least an outside chance at CoA. I'd imagine things can move slower for jobs that start 2 years from now than for the 2017 term. (Here's to hoping, at least.)


As a clerk in the chambers of a COA judge, we only have one spot left for the 2018-2019 term. Obviously can't speak to other chambers' situation, but things are moving shockingly fast.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1279
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby mjb447 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Just apply and try not to think about it afterward (unless you need to update your app) until you receive an interview or the position is filled. There's really no rhyme or reason to the timing of the process, and there's also not really much you can do to control it.

Boltsfan

New
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: How long between application and interview?

Postby Boltsfan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:17 pm

mjb447 wrote:There's really no rhyme or reason to the timing of the process, and there's also not really much you can do to control it.


Get used to this in general. You have very little control over what happens in regards to clerkship hiring; the only real control you have is deciding which judges to apply to (don't apply to the 2nd circuit judges in Syracuse unless you're cool with living in a frozen wasteland for a year). Once the apps are out, the process more or less becomes a black box until you get an offer that you have to immediately accept.



Return to “Judicial Clerkships�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.