Need to know if I should give up

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Need to know if I should give up

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:29 am

Recent CLS grad just started at V10 firm in lit. I always imagined myself clerking but finished top 35-40% with a particularly mediocre 3L second semester. Have a few profs that will give decent recs, but not likely to be amazing. Note published in secondary journal, board position on secondary journal.

I'm ok with almost any geographic location. Do I need to come to terms with the fact that I have no chance or is it possible for me to land a flyover DCt/SSC spot?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Need to know if I should give up

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:32 am

It is definitely possible.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Don't give up yet: a few years working can cover a multitude of sins, particularly if you're willing to go anywhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:09 pm

I think you almost definitely have a chance - I did a district ct clerkship after two years at a firm. While I had a slightly higher class ranking (top 20%) I was at a much lower ranked school (T30), was not at a fancy firm, and did not have any journal experience at all.

Geographic ties can be really helpful if you have connections to someplace that isn't NY. Even if that's not the case, just apply to everyone - I'd be surprised if the Columbia/V10 work experience combo didn't turn at least a couple heads.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:11 pm

No reason to give up. Keep applying. And work the connections your firm has.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:12 pm

there are many people in c/o 2016 and c/o 2015 clerking for district court judges with those grades, so it's absurd to say you aren't going to be able to clerk. I'd say you are closed out for 2017 but you could hit judges that focus on alumni hiring for 2018 really hard over the next 6-8 months. also, the more geographic flexibility the better: if you are open to EDPA, DNJ, DNH, DVt, and other new England districts that will help.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�