Applying to fed. clerkships 1 yr of exp required with no exp

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying to fed. clerkships 1 yr of exp required with no exp

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Applying to federal clerkships requiring as minimum qualifications 1 year of experience, but I myself have no post-graduate experience.

Has anyone done this? Any success?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Re: Applying to fed. clerkships 1 yr of exp required with no exp

Postby grand inquisitor » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:30 pm

if the judge specifically requires one year of post-J.D. experience, you are wasting your time applying if you don't have it imo

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:32 pm

Flame. Next thing OP will tell us is that they are a 0L who hasn't taken the LSAT yet but is PT'ing at 176.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:50 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:if the judge specifically requires one year of post-J.D. experience, you are wasting your time applying if you don't have it imo

100%. If a clerkship posting says that something you lack is "preferred," go for it, but you're usually wasting your time if you lack something that is "required."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:35 pm

^ what he said.

Anecdotally, I've had some success with judges who prefer "minimum of 2 years" of work experience with 1.5 years, but I had to compensate with other factors. The reality is that there are many folks in the application pool with at least 1 year of work experience, some coming from clerkships, others from prestigious public interest organizations or big firms. Do you have anything on your resume to compete with that?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�