Chances that clerkship bonuses increase

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anodyne

New

Chances that clerkship bonuses increase

Postby anodyne » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:44 pm

So... this year's salary bump is great and all, but it does increase the opportunity cost of clerking by 20k for a first year. Obviously, other incentives still strongly point towards taking a clerkship, so I doubt this increased opportunity cost is going to really change behavior in anyway. But still...if firms were trying to make the raise truly across the board, it seems like a bonus increase would be in order. Any word on anything of the sort (other than Quinn)?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Chances that clerkship bonuses increase

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Susman increased their clerkship bonus to $80,000. Since everyone at the firm has to do a federal clerkship, every entering associate receives an $80k bonus. Fun.

I can only think of a handful of firms that would be motivated to increase their clerkship bonuses in light of Susman, and maybe a few more considering Quinn + Susman. Certainly not enough to budge the $50,000 standard across the board.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Susman increased their clerkship bonus to $80,000. Since everyone at the firm has to do a federal clerkship, every entering associate receives an $80k bonus. Fun.

I can only think of a handful of firms that would be motivated to increase their clerkship bonuses in light of Susman, and maybe a few more considering Quinn + Susman. Certainly not enough to budge the $50,000 standard across the board.

Wow that was some pretty uncanny timing after my post. Let's hope this builds some momentum.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:13 am

I doubt it.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�