2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 am

Jchance wrote:If they said end of the month (April), you can send a follow up email tomorrow or Wednesday. I wouldn't give up all hopes, as firms sometime have delay in their meeting time.

Thanks. I'll wait a day or two then. I don't want to seem desperate. (BUT I AM!)

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about MoloLamken - compensation, RPL, PPP, etc.? Seems like sort of a black box. Asking because of promising recent contact with someone who works there.


Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 pm

^ what was said above re interviews with (almost) every attorney is also true across most elite litigation boutiques in order to get an offer. It's actually much harder to get an offer from an elite boutique shop than at a biglaw, from my anecdotal experience

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 4:53 pm

I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?

For what it's worth, I have heard PW and BSF are still hiring in NY. That's all the intel I have though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


No idea if this will be helpful to you, but FWIW: I'm an alumni who struck out on big law and generally don't have big law qualifications beyond my A3 clerkship. I targeted almost exclusively small/medium firms throughout CA, where I'm licensed, because I didn't think I'd land anything from big law and I'm genuinely more interested in a smaller firm.

Every day I scoured Linkedin, Lawcrossing (I found it worth it to pay for a month of it - they do seem to have a lot of postings that I didn't find elsewhere), and firms' sites. I have a specific area I want to practice, so I found some lists of firms that specialized in the area, and cold emailed them. I applied to essentially everything I found that I was even remotely qualified for. There are lots of job openings out there, but IMO it requires constantly checking sites and applying non-stop.

Ironically, I landed a big law job through a friend. But I got a number of interviews and a couple of offers from smaller firms. I also got some interview invites from small firms I had applied to months ago after accepting the job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


Alumni clerk here from competitive district (SDNY, EDNY, NDCal, DDC). I also focused exclusively on DC big law and have never previously worked in big law. I networked aggressively starting last August and had no interviews until about early March. Then I got four big law interviews within a two-week span. I ultimately got three offers and was able to negotiate an above-market clerkship bonus. I feel very lucky, but just a few months ago I was pretty sure I'd strike out entirely. Keep your head up!

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


No idea if this will be helpful to you, but FWIW: I'm an alumni who struck out on big law and generally don't have big law qualifications beyond my A3 clerkship. I targeted almost exclusively small/medium firms throughout CA, where I'm licensed, because I didn't think I'd land anything from big law and I'm genuinely more interested in a smaller firm.

Every day I scoured Linkedin, Lawcrossing (I found it worth it to pay for a month of it - they do seem to have a lot of postings that I didn't find elsewhere), and firms' sites. I have a specific area I want to practice, so I found some lists of firms that specialized in the area, and cold emailed them. I applied to essentially everything I found that I was even remotely qualified for. There are lots of job openings out there, but IMO it requires constantly checking sites and applying non-stop.

Ironically, I landed a big law job through a friend. But I got a number of interviews and a couple of offers from smaller firms. I also got some interview invites from small firms I had applied to months ago after accepting the job.


That's extremely helpful--thank you. BRB signing up for Lawcrossing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


Alumni clerk here from competitive district (SDNY, EDNY, NDCal, DDC). I also focused exclusively on DC big law and have never previously worked in big law. I networked aggressively starting last August and had no interviews until about early March. Then I got four big law interviews within a two-week span. I ultimately got three offers and was able to negotiate an above-market clerkship bonus. I feel very lucky, but just a few months ago I was pretty sure I'd strike out entirely. Keep your head up!

Thank you! I had a couple interviews in January, but they didn't pan out. I'll keep moving forward. I'm heartened that things worked out for you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


Alumni clerk here from competitive district (SDNY, EDNY, NDCal, DDC). I also focused exclusively on DC big law and have never previously worked in big law. I networked aggressively starting last August and had no interviews until about early March. Then I got four big law interviews within a two-week span. I ultimately got three offers and was able to negotiate an above-market clerkship bonus. I feel very lucky, but just a few months ago I was pretty sure I'd strike out entirely. Keep your head up!


If you're comfortable sharing, could you share any tips for negotiating the bonus? How receptive were firms to negotiation? Did you have an above-market offer to use as leverage?

Jchance
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Jchance » Wed May 03, 2017 8:29 pm

also check gobiglaw.com, they have lots of postings too

chipperjones
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby chipperjones » Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 pm

Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.


Thanks for the info. Could you PM me?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


Alumni clerk here from competitive district (SDNY, EDNY, NDCal, DDC). I also focused exclusively on DC big law and have never previously worked in big law. I networked aggressively starting last August and had no interviews until about early March. Then I got four big law interviews within a two-week span. I ultimately got three offers and was able to negotiate an above-market clerkship bonus. I feel very lucky, but just a few months ago I was pretty sure I'd strike out entirely. Keep your head up!


If you're comfortable sharing, could you share any tips for negotiating the bonus? How receptive were firms to negotiation? Did you have an above-market offer to use as leverage?


The key for me was being an alumni clerk and therefore getting offers at various class years. For those firms with offers at lower years than my actual class year, I let them know that I had an offer that required no cut in class year. The firms to which I told that to (1) increased their class year offer and/or (2) increased the bonus amount.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 am

chipperjones wrote:
Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.


Thanks for the info. Could you PM me?


Are any of the "more details" here stuff you can share publicly? Lots of buzz about MoloLamken among clerks in my courthouse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I focused on DC biglaw, to my detriment. Is the hiring cycle in NYC pretty much over at this point? Any tips for tracking down smaller shops?


Alumni clerk here from competitive district (SDNY, EDNY, NDCal, DDC). I also focused exclusively on DC big law and have never previously worked in big law. I networked aggressively starting last August and had no interviews until about early March. Then I got four big law interviews within a two-week span. I ultimately got three offers and was able to negotiate an above-market clerkship bonus. I feel very lucky, but just a few months ago I was pretty sure I'd strike out entirely. Keep your head up!


Are we the same person - except I don't have a job (yet)!?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am

I know thank you notes have been covered ad nauseum on TLS, but I've searched for this and can't find it.

I had a screener phone call with two partners for a midsize firm in CA that resulted in a callback offer on the spot. Should I send a thank you for this? Something like "I enjoyed talking with you both yesterday and look forward to meeting you in person soon."?

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know thank you notes have been covered ad nauseum on TLS, but I've searched for this and can't find it.

I had a screener phone call with two partners for a midsize firm in CA that resulted in a callback offer on the spot. Should I send a thank you for this? Something like "I enjoyed talking with you both yesterday and look forward to meeting you in person soon."?


Yes don't overthink it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know thank you notes have been covered ad nauseum on TLS, but I've searched for this and can't find it.

I had a screener phone call with two partners for a midsize firm in CA that resulted in a callback offer on the spot. Should I send a thank you for this? Something like "I enjoyed talking with you both yesterday and look forward to meeting you in person soon."?


Yes don't overthink it.

Yeah, I know I am overthinking it when I know all too well that they will not care, yet I spend more than 5 minutes trying to decide whether to use their first names or Mr./Ms. Oof. (Still deciding, and yes, I hate myself atm.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chipperjones wrote:
Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.


Thanks for the info. Could you PM me?


Are any of the "more details" here stuff you can share publicly? Lots of buzz about MoloLamken among clerks in my courthouse.


That's really all I can share without being really obvious about who I am/without getting into the nitty gritty of how exactly my interview went. They only interview so many people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 11:19 am

That terrible feeling you get when a firm reposts the position for which they just rejected you post-interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 am

It's worse when you just had your callback last week or 2 weeks ago and saw a new posting for the same position you just interviewed for.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's worse when you just had your callback last week or 2 weeks ago and saw a new posting for the same position you just interviewed for.

I would just assume that was an auto-post. Like they had planned to repost it anyway. Or they decided they had the funds to hire more than one person. You're still in the running!

JakeTappers
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby JakeTappers » Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 pm

A small aside here, and not to take away or distract from the despair of those still searching—I feel your pain from my past, trust me—but I am clerking for 16-17 and 17-18 (so will be applying in 6 months or so), but a few questions:

1) Was there any unanimity as to how to apply to firms without listed postings? I presume just an email to the contact attaching a resume? Writing sample or PDF cover letter?

2) For those of you that also applied to government, presuming firms move faster, what happens if you get a firm offer with a limited acceptance period before government is done? Simply accept and say f it, or accept and plan to renege?

3) Combination of 1/2. Anyone apply to US Attorneys offices that are not posting but always hiring (i.e. SDNY, DC) - just dont know the mechanics of that.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to respond. If this should be its own thread, please let me know.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby quiver » Fri May 05, 2017 3:01 pm

JakeTappers wrote:1) Was there any unanimity as to how to apply to firms without listed postings? I presume just an email to the contact attaching a resume? Writing sample or PDF cover letter?
Probably not unanimity on this. But email to the recruiting contact w/ cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript is probably sufficient.
JakeTappers wrote:2) For those of you that also applied to government, presuming firms move faster, what happens if you get a firm offer with a limited acceptance period before government is done? Simply accept and say f it, or accept and plan to renege?
If your long-term goal is government, then the latter (if you have to).
JakeTappers wrote:3) Combination of 1/2. Anyone apply to US Attorneys offices that are not posting but always hiring (i.e. SDNY, DC) - just dont know the mechanics of that.
Obviously things are messed up now with the hiring freeze/budget. In any case, I'm not sure what answer you're looking for here; just apply as indicated on their respective websites.

Anonymous User
Posts: 299644
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
chipperjones wrote:
Did a first round interview with them this hiring cycle, and was not asked to continue with the process, but have since accepted at a major DC firm. Compensation was market, as were bonuses, although someone mentioned there was something about bonuses being paid in two portions and some predetermined amount going into a 401k (but I could be misremembering here). The interview process requires you to meet with every attorney who works at the firm across all three offices. They do this usually via video conference from the office where you are applying to work. To accommodate the sheer volume of interviewing this requires, most of my interviews were 2-on-1. If you clear the interview request hurdle, it's pretty clear that your credentials are fine; you just have to get along with 40 people and mesh with them and their culture. Otherwise it's a bad fit for you and for them.

If it turns into more than a promising contact, I can PM with more details.


Thanks for the info. Could you PM me?


Are any of the "more details" here stuff you can share publicly? Lots of buzz about MoloLamken among clerks in my courthouse.


That's really all I can share without being really obvious about who I am/without getting into the nitty gritty of how exactly my interview went. They only interview so many people.
Not OP, but I interviewed with this firm in the past. Just wanted to add that, if you make it past the interviews with all the lawyers in the firm, the final interview is with an industrial psychologist. The questions are along the lines of, "tell us about a time you failed and how you reacted to it;" "explain your working style and how you interact with teammates;" etc. In terms of law firm interviews, it was actually more fun than the usual regurgitate-what's-on-my-resume interviews.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.