2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
los blancos

Platinum

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby los blancos » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:12 am

The credentials of people in here who are seemingly getting nothing is making me think the market is either totally fried or just moving really slowly this year -- either way, it means try not to take it personal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

FYI, Gibson DC making offer(s)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:20 am

los blancos wrote:The credentials of people in here who are seemingly getting nothing is making me think the market is either totally fried or just moving really slowly this year -- either way, it means try not to take it personal.

To counterbalance some of the doom and gloom, at my (non-CA2/9/DC) COA courthouse clerks are doing real well. Raking in interviews and offers with solid lit firms and a few have had real success with even the cream of the crop (KVN, Susman, etc.). While everyone has good credentials, it's not like we are clerking for feeder judges or necessarily have that sort of resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:The credentials of people in here who are seemingly getting nothing is making me think the market is either totally fried or just moving really slowly this year -- either way, it means try not to take it personal.

To counterbalance some of the doom and gloom, at my (non-CA2/9/DC) COA courthouse clerks are doing real well. Raking in interviews and offers with solid lit firms and a few have had real success with even the cream of the crop (KVN, Susman, etc.). While everyone has good credentials, it's not like we are clerking for feeder judges or necessarily have that sort of resume.

Where are they targeting their apps though? I think a lot of people here are focusing on DC, which is in flux for obvious reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Davis Polk Ding. So generic that they didn't even bother to include the Mr./Ms. - it straight up said Dear [lastname]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Davis Polk Ding. So generic that they didn't even bother to include the Mr./Ms. - it straight up said Dear [lastname]

I assure you they CAREFULLY considered your application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Davis Polk Ding. So generic that they didn't even bother to include the Mr./Ms. - it straight up said Dear [lastname]

Not sure if being sarcastic. I got dinged too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, entirely sarcastic! Sorry that got lost in transmission. I was also dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They didn't even say they carefully considered it. No sugarcoating there - they just said: we reviewed your materials, and umm no. Ha.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

There's almost certainly a lot of self selection going on in this thread. COA/competitive district clerks are probably doing just fine, but it would be a bit dickish to show up here and brag about that given how this thread has developed.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's almost certainly a lot of self selection going on in this thread. COA/competitive district clerks are probably doing just fine, but it would be a bit dickish to show up here and brag about that given how this thread has developed.

Particularly from CA2, 9 or DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They didn't even say they carefully considered it. No sugarcoating there - they just said: we reviewed your materials, and umm no. Ha.

I have a feeling they're reluctant to take on non-SA or people who worked there for a few years in the hopes they'll return.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Any word on the Texas market? Is it early or late there?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Even regular CoA I suspect. One of the clerks who interviewed me for my future CoA spot just started at Kellogg. And it's about as non feeder a clerkship as they come (though is at least on a coast near a major city).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:51 pm

One datapoint: My COA clerkship is the epitome of flyover. I'm getting interest from Chicago firms, without ties--but no offers yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:20 pm

DC biglaw still seems to be biting, so probably shouldn't give up hope just yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC biglaw still seems to be biting, so probably shouldn't give up hope just yet.

Care to elaborate on that?

newlawgrad

New

Postby newlawgrad » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One datapoint: My COA clerkship is the epitome of flyover. I'm getting interest from Chicago firms, without ties--but no offers yet.

Straight from law school to clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Where are they targeting their apps though? I think a lot of people here are focusing on DC, which is in flux for obvious reasons.

Yeah doing fine in DC. A good number of offers at the bigger firms, and some interviews (not really offers yet) with the top tier firms (KHHTE, W&C, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah doing fine in DC. A good number of offers at the bigger firms, and some interviews (not really offers yet) with the top tier firms (KHHTE, W&C, etc.).

DC biglaw is an absolute wasteland for district court clerks who did not also clerk on COA. Anyone have contrary anecdata?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:41 pm

W&C seems to have plenty of associates who only did DCT, and several whose courts aren't all that selective.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:15 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One datapoint: My COA clerkship is the epitome of flyover. I'm getting interest from Chicago firms, without ties--but no offers yet.

Straight from law school to clerkship?

Two years of private practice (not biglaw).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Is it really that bad that people aren't even getting interviews? I'm pretty shocked at the results in here.

I'm a big law junior associate in DC and I have clerkship interviews lined up in secondary markets (Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, etc).

Am I making a dumb choice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it really that bad that people aren't even getting interviews? I'm pretty shocked at the results in here.

I'm a big law junior associate in DC and I have clerkship interviews lined up in secondary markets (Phoenix, Miami, Atlanta, etc).

Am I making a dumb choice?

Selfishly, I want you to leave so one of us can take your spot. 8) I don't think I would leave at this point, unless your firm has guaranteed you a spot when you return.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:09 am

Are there any COA clerks that are struggling to get interviews?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?