mjb447 wrote:clerk1251 wrote:Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm three weeks ago, and was told that they would be making decisions after the 17th. Would it be annoying if I emailed the recruiter asking for a status update? I have an offer elsewhere, but I'd rather be at this firm. I also don't want to rush them into a decision if it will cut against me.
I'm thinking a generic status update request with no mention of the offer until I know where I stand. Thoughts?
I think it is totally appropriate to email them, just following up, inquiring as to an updated timeline for when they anticipate making their decision. I think mentioning your offer would also be perfectly fine in order to get an affirmative decision one way or another. I can't imagine that mentioning your offer will make them change their mind of however they felt previously. Congrats on the offer, and good luck!
Yeah, I'd probably mention the offer. If nothing else, it explains why you're asking for an update: waiting until the 22nd or later isn't really a long unexplained delay if they told you they're making decisions "after the 17th," but it's a different matter if you're sitting on an offer. (And I agree that mentioning the offer isn't going to affect them one way or another: worse case is that they either reject you sooner instead of waiting a little while or they tell you that you're not going to hear back for a while.)
I'm worried that mentioning the offer will immediately remove me from the B-List if that's where I am. I'd rather remain on the secondary list in case someone else turns down their offer. It may be dumb, but I'd hate for it to be down to me and someone else and they give it to the person who doesn't have an offer because they know I won't be left high and dry. Maybe that doesn't make sense?
This is my first choice market/firm, so the whole thing has me a bit neurotic.