2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:25 pm

mjb447 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm three weeks ago, and was told that they would be making decisions after the 17th. Would it be annoying if I emailed the recruiter asking for a status update? I have an offer elsewhere, but I'd rather be at this firm. I also don't want to rush them into a decision if it will cut against me.

I'm thinking a generic status update request with no mention of the offer until I know where I stand. Thoughts?

I think it is totally appropriate to email them, just following up, inquiring as to an updated timeline for when they anticipate making their decision. I think mentioning your offer would also be perfectly fine in order to get an affirmative decision one way or another. I can't imagine that mentioning your offer will make them change their mind of however they felt previously. Congrats on the offer, and good luck!

Yeah, I'd probably mention the offer. If nothing else, it explains why you're asking for an update: waiting until the 22nd or later isn't really a long unexplained delay if they told you they're making decisions "after the 17th," but it's a different matter if you're sitting on an offer. (And I agree that mentioning the offer isn't going to affect them one way or another: worse case is that they either reject you sooner instead of waiting a little while or they tell you that you're not going to hear back for a while.)

I'm worried that mentioning the offer will immediately remove me from the B-List if that's where I am. I'd rather remain on the secondary list in case someone else turns down their offer. It may be dumb, but I'd hate for it to be down to me and someone else and they give it to the person who doesn't have an offer because they know I won't be left high and dry. Maybe that doesn't make sense?

This is my first choice market/firm, so the whole thing has me a bit neurotic.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm three weeks ago, and was told that they would be making decisions after the 17th. Would it be annoying if I emailed the recruiter asking for a status update? I have an offer elsewhere, but I'd rather be at this firm. I also don't want to rush them into a decision if it will cut against me.

I'm thinking a generic status update request with no mention of the offer until I know where I stand. Thoughts?

I think it is totally appropriate to email them, just following up, inquiring as to an updated timeline for when they anticipate making their decision. I think mentioning your offer would also be perfectly fine in order to get an affirmative decision one way or another. I can't imagine that mentioning your offer will make them change their mind of however they felt previously. Congrats on the offer, and good luck!

Yeah, I'd probably mention the offer. If nothing else, it explains why you're asking for an update: waiting until the 22nd or later isn't really a long unexplained delay if they told you they're making decisions "after the 17th," but it's a different matter if you're sitting on an offer. (And I agree that mentioning the offer isn't going to affect them one way or another: worse case is that they either reject you sooner instead of waiting a little while or they tell you that you're not going to hear back for a while.)

I'm worried that mentioning the offer will immediately remove me from the B-List if that's where I am. I'd rather remain on the secondary list in case someone else turns down their offer. It may be dumb, but I'd hate for it to be down to me and someone else and they give it to the person who doesn't have an offer because they know I won't be left high and dry. Maybe that doesn't make sense?

I suppose it could be a tiebreaker in unusual circumstances, but my experience with law firms is that they care infinitely more about their circumstances (i.e. getting the person they want most) than yours (i.e. whether you're left high and dry).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:30 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:

I suppose it could be a tiebreaker in unusual circumstances, but my experience with law firms is that they care infinitely more about their circumstances (i.e. getting the person they want most) than yours (i.e. whether you're left high and dry).

That makes complete sense. The other firm said I could possible extend the time I need to accept, so maybe I'll mention that too.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Yeah, having an offer isn't going to screw you over like that - that's not how employers think.

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:

That makes complete sense. The other firm said I could possible extend the time I need to accept, so maybe I'll mention that too.

Just send an email letting them know that you've received an offer at another firm, and while you don't need to give them a decision just yet, you wanted to inquire as to the status of your candidacy. You can absolutely say that firm xyz would be your first choice, and even give a few years why if you'd like, reflecting on your interview. Then you can ask for an updated timeline to have a better sense of when they will be making a decision by.

As others said, at the end of the day, they will hire you or they won't. Asking and mentioning you have an offer likely won't push them one way or another. All it may serve to do is speed up the inevitable: either they will decide they have to make moves quicker to secure you, or stop stringing you along.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Just got dinged from Winston Chicago after a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got dinged from Winston Chicago after a callback.

I'm so sorry. It's hard to not take it personally when it is after the interview. I know all too well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks. It does suck, but I've learned not to take it personally.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Anyone hear from Patterson or Jenner's NY office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Anyone targeting firms or government in the PNW with market news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone targeting firms or government in the PNW with market news?

Perkins Coie Portland is done hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone targeting firms or government in the PNW with market news?

For which position? I haven't heard this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Jenner Chi ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For which position? I haven't heard this.

Litigation associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Patterson or Jenner's NY office?

Patterson's been interviewing for a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can't divulge source, but it is my understanding that Hogan DC likely is not doing any post clerk hiring.

OP here. Source was incorrect. Hogan DC is at the very beginning of their post-clerk hiring and starting to do screening interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am

I've been handling the limbo pretty well, but today may be my breaking point. This was supposed to be the easy part of clerking. Welp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't divulge source, but it is my understanding that Hogan DC likely is not doing any post clerk hiring.

OP here. Source was incorrect. Hogan DC is at the very beginning of their post-clerk hiring and starting to do screening interviews.

Do you know if those emails have already been sent out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been handling the limbo pretty well, but today may be my breaking point. This was supposed to be the easy part of clerking. Welp.

Seriously. I just can't believe how bad the litigation market is. Is anybody else having better luck that doesn't have obscene credentials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been handling the limbo pretty well, but today may be my breaking point. This was supposed to be the easy part of clerking. Welp.

Seriously. I just can't believe how bad the litigation market is. Is anybody else having better luck that doesn't have obscene credentials?

I really thought HYS + decent lit summer and clinic experience + clerkship would be a golden ticket. Newp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Do firms ever call to reject? Or would that generally be done over email or letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms ever call to reject? Or would that generally be done over email or letter?

Almost never.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do firms ever call to reject? Or would that generally be done over email or letter?

Almost never.

Yes, so if a firm's number shows up on your phone, it's almost always good news!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Almost never.

Yes, so if a firm's number shows up on your phone, it's almost always good news!

OP. Just checked voicemail. Rejection. UGH. So awkward, and now I know to always let it go to voicemail.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I really thought HYS + decent lit summer and clinic experience + clerkship would be a golden ticket. Newp.

I don't mean this as criticism at all, but I think there aren't a lot of consistent rules about post-clerkship hiring, and it's still much too early to worry. Timelines are all over the place - it's not like OCI. I get that it's agonizing, but try not to despair yet.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?