2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm

I was a D. Ct. Clerk in coastal state, then went to a V20 firm in NY for almost 2 years, and am now doing a COA clerkship in a flyover state. I am debating between going back to my firm, switching markets to a new firm, and other non-firm things. If I go back to my firm, how much leverage do I have to negotiate things like clerkship bonus (and how long I have to stay to keep it), moving costs, signing bonus, etc.? Do I need to have another offer from a competing firm in that market to get leverage against my former firm? For what it's worth, I really liked my former firm and have an offer to return, so I don't really want to interview for other firms in New York unless there's a reason to do so. At the same time, I don't want to miss a financial opportunity.

Any insight appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cooley's generic ding email includes this line at the bottom (with a hyperlink back to their website):

"Cooley is one of Fortune’s '100 Best Companies to Work For'"

https://media.giphy.com/media/HwmB7t7krGnao/giphy.gif

How gracious of them!

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:06 pm

No firm is going to call after 5 on a Friday, right? I'm struggling to put it out of my mind for the next few days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Top 15% at T20, BK court (non-DE, non-SDNY but still major city).

Applied to 39 Big Law in January (all SoCal locations); dinged from Skadden, Simpson Thacher, K&E, Proskauer, King & Spalding, Dentons, Steptoe & Johnson, and Venable; silence from the rest.

I'm guessing my pathetic track record is due to the fact that BK is too niche. Just posting to provide info for anyone else in a similar situation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Is everyone admitted to the state in which these firms are located? If I want to apply to NY firms but only admitted to practice in CA, can I still apply to the NY firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is everyone admitted to the state in which these firms are located? If I want to apply to NY firms but only admitted to practice in CA, can I still apply to the NY firms?


I applied to NY firms while clerking and was only admitted in CA. I ended up with a position at a V20 NY firm. They just made my position conditional on me getting admitted to the NY bar within the first year of employment, which I did. The time off I had to study for the bar was bliss. My co-clerk was in the exact same situation and he also get a job at a NY firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 15% at T20, BK court (non-DE, non-SDNY but still major city).

Applied to 39 Big Law in January (all SoCal locations); dinged from Skadden, Simpson Thacher, K&E, Proskauer, King & Spalding, Dentons, Steptoe & Johnson, and Venable; silence from the rest.

I'm guessing my pathetic track record is due to the fact that BK is too niche. Just posting to provide info for anyone else in a similar situation.

To this poster: look at the posts above about NY. The BK market in SoCal is tiny. If you're really interested in the practice, you're likely going to have to consider NY, DE, Philly, or TX.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Can't divulge source, but it is my understanding that Hogan DC likely is not doing any post clerk hiring.

Moonraker

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Moonraker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 15% at T20, BK court (non-DE, non-SDNY but still major city).

Applied to 39 Big Law in January (all SoCal locations); dinged from Skadden, Simpson Thacher, K&E, Proskauer, King & Spalding, Dentons, Steptoe & Johnson, and Venable; silence from the rest.

I'm guessing my pathetic track record is due to the fact that BK is too niche. Just posting to provide info for anyone else in a similar situation.

To this poster: look at the posts above about NY. The BK market in SoCal is tiny. If you're really interested in the practice, you're likely going to have to consider NY, DE, Philly, or TX.


The caveat I think is BigLaw bankruptcy. You might need to work in NY/DE for a few years then lateral to your market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't divulge source, but it is my understanding that Hogan DC likely is not doing any post clerk hiring.


Have no source but publicly evident from their careers page. It's disappointing, and other DC firms are doing the same.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:06 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't divulge source, but it is my understanding that Hogan DC likely is not doing any post clerk hiring.


Have no source but publicly evident from their careers page. It's disappointing, and other DC firms are doing the same.


Any theories as to what's leading to this? Turnover in administrations resulting in exodus back to private practice, slow down in lit, something else or some combination? Am really curious what the rationale is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:57 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't divulge source, but it is my understanding that Hogan DC likely is not doing any post clerk hiring.


Have no source but publicly evident from their careers page. It's disappointing, and other DC firms are doing the same.


Any theories as to what's leading to this? Turnover in administrations resulting in exodus back to private practice, slow down in lit, something else or some combination? Am really curious what the rationale is.

That's disappointing. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?


Got a ding from APKS DC a week or two ago. Radio silence from Sidley.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Has anyone gotten offers/interview requests from New York firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten offers/interview requests from New York firms?

I have only applied to a few because I focused on DC, but no bites yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?


Got a ding from APKS DC a week or two ago. Radio silence from Sidley.


I applied to Sidley DC over a month ago and just got an EEO survey email today. Maybe that means they're starting to move now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten offers/interview requests from New York firms?


3 cbs, 1 offer, 2 waiting to hear back. K&E's clerkship reception is Thursday and I just got invite from Weil, so looks like some NYC firms are just starting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:45 pm

I've been told that Sidley Dallas is not hiring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?


Got a ding from APKS DC a week or two ago. Radio silence from Sidley.


I applied to Sidley DC over a month ago and just got an EEO survey email today. Maybe that means they're starting to move now.


Ditto.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:52 pm

D.D.C. chambers just got Keker letter

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten offers/interview requests from New York firms?


3 cbs, 1 offer, 2 waiting to hear back. K&E's clerkship reception is Thursday and I just got invite from Weil, so looks like some NYC firms are just starting.

Sorry to be annoying but can you share where your offer was from?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?


Got a ding from APKS DC a week or two ago. Radio silence from Sidley.


I applied to Sidley DC over a month ago and just got an EEO survey email today. Maybe that means they're starting to move now.


Got the same thing today. I hate when firms send those dumb surveys out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?


Got a ding from APKS DC a week or two ago. Radio silence from Sidley.


I applied to Sidley DC over a month ago and just got an EEO survey email today. Maybe that means they're starting to move now.


Got the same thing today. I hate when firms send those dumb surveys out.

Got my hopes all up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313860
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard if Arnold & Porter or Sidley (DC for both) are hiring this year?


Got a ding from APKS DC a week or two ago. Radio silence from Sidley.


I applied to Sidley DC over a month ago and just got an EEO survey email today. Maybe that means they're starting to move now.


Got the same thing today. I hate when firms send those dumb surveys out.

Got my hopes all up.


At this point, I was just happy that it wasn't a rejection. Ha.



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.