2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Does anyone know which, if any, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill firms give bonuses? Robinson Bradshaw's website says $5k, any experience out there negotiating?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which, if any, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill firms give bonuses? Robinson Bradshaw's website says $5k, any experience out there negotiating?


From my experience working at another major NC firm, that sounds about right.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which, if any, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill firms give bonuses? Robinson Bradshaw's website says $5k, any experience out there negotiating?


I think they pretty much all give a nominal bonus, $5k sounds about right. You could try instead with one of the regional firms (think McGuireWoods). They're better, but still not market. If you want market, you gotta get one of the few true Biglaw shops in Charlotte, but they don't do a lot of litigation.

No experience with negotiating, but I'd be shocked if any of the NC firms would negotiate on this. They're not trying to attract you with their superior compensation and they don't have trouble landing former 4th Cir. and district court clerks (and if you look around, you'll notice a few former SCOTUS clerks around too).

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know which, if any, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill firms give bonuses? Robinson Bradshaw's website says $5k, any experience out there negotiating?


I think they pretty much all give a nominal bonus, $5k sounds about right. You could try instead with one of the regional firms (think McGuireWoods). They're better, but still not market. If you want market, you gotta get one of the few true Biglaw shops in Charlotte, but they don't do a lot of litigation.

No experience with negotiating, but I'd be shocked if any of the NC firms would negotiate on this. They're not trying to attract you with their superior compensation and they don't have trouble landing former 4th Cir. and district court clerks (and if you look around, you'll notice a few former SCOTUS clerks around too).

FWIW, McGuireWoods gives $5k per clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:49 am

I had a DC callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Would love for someone to tell me that all hope is not lost.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a DC callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Would love for someone to tell me that all hope is not lost.


Poster from above with Cov DC offer. Took about a month to hear back, even though they said "about 2-3 weeks." We're still early in post-clerk hiring. There are some firms that haven't even started the process, and the firms have a good sense of what everyone else is doing.

The process is also a bit slower on the whole because what's the rush? We're not going anywhere--we're employed through August (generally). So why should the hiring committee race to make an offer? I haven't (yet) heard of any firm giving exploding offers or anything with a super short timeline to respond, so that also depresses the need for speed on behalf of a hiring committee.

TL;DR - Lots of hope left.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a DC callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Would love for someone to tell me that all hope is not lost.


Poster from above with Cov DC offer. Took about a month to hear back, even though they said "about 2-3 weeks." We're still early in post-clerk hiring. There are some firms that haven't even started the process, and the firms have a good sense of what everyone else is doing.

The process is also a bit slower on the whole because what's the rush? We're not going anywhere--we're employed through August (generally). So why should the hiring committee race to make an offer? I haven't (yet) heard of any firm giving exploding offers or anything with a super short timeline to respond, so that also depresses the need for speed on behalf of a hiring committee.

TL;DR - Lots of hope left.

My hero. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a DC callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Would love for someone to tell me that all hope is not lost.


Poster from above with Cov DC offer. Took about a month to hear back, even though they said "about 2-3 weeks." We're still early in post-clerk hiring. There are some firms that haven't even started the process, and the firms have a good sense of what everyone else is doing.

The process is also a bit slower on the whole because what's the rush? We're not going anywhere--we're employed through August (generally). So why should the hiring committee race to make an offer? I haven't (yet) heard of any firm giving exploding offers or anything with a super short timeline to respond, so that also depresses the need for speed on behalf of a hiring committee.

TL;DR - Lots of hope left.

My hero. Thank you for sharing!

Do you think I can infer from this that it's not too late to apply to most firms? I've gotten a bit of a late start.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a DC callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Would love for someone to tell me that all hope is not lost.


Poster from above with Cov DC offer. Took about a month to hear back, even though they said "about 2-3 weeks." We're still early in post-clerk hiring. There are some firms that haven't even started the process, and the firms have a good sense of what everyone else is doing.

The process is also a bit slower on the whole because what's the rush? We're not going anywhere--we're employed through August (generally). So why should the hiring committee race to make an offer? I haven't (yet) heard of any firm giving exploding offers or anything with a super short timeline to respond, so that also depresses the need for speed on behalf of a hiring committee.

TL;DR - Lots of hope left.

My hero. Thank you for sharing!

Do you think I can infer from this that it's not too late to apply to most firms? I've gotten a bit of a late start.


Honestly, I applied to a handful of firms last month, then got a few rejections, and got really lazy/discouraged about applying to more. I still have a bunch I want to apply to but I'm starting to think that I'm just going to wait for actual openings I see, being as it seems so hit or miss right now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a DC callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Would love for someone to tell me that all hope is not lost.


Poster from above with Cov DC offer. Took about a month to hear back, even though they said "about 2-3 weeks." We're still early in post-clerk hiring. There are some firms that haven't even started the process, and the firms have a good sense of what everyone else is doing.

The process is also a bit slower on the whole because what's the rush? We're not going anywhere--we're employed through August (generally). So why should the hiring committee race to make an offer? I haven't (yet) heard of any firm giving exploding offers or anything with a super short timeline to respond, so that also depresses the need for speed on behalf of a hiring committee.

TL;DR - Lots of hope left.

My hero. Thank you for sharing!

Do you think I can infer from this that it's not too late to apply to most firms? I've gotten a bit of a late start.


Honestly, I applied to a handful of firms last month, then got a few rejections, and got really lazy/discouraged about applying to more. I still have a bunch I want to apply to but I'm starting to think that I'm just going to wait for actual openings I see, being as it seems so hit or miss right now.

I'm having a lot of burnout. I just need to figure out exactly when it's time to amp this thing up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I applied to a handful of firms last month, then got a few rejections, and got really lazy/discouraged about applying to more. I still have a bunch I want to apply to but I'm starting to think that I'm just going to wait for actual openings I see, being as it seems so hit or miss right now.

I'm having a lot of burnout. I just need to figure out exactly when it's time to amp this thing up.


Yea, that's exactly how I'm feeling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Some numbers for the group: I've applied to 36 firms since December and I have heard from 23 of them at this point, whether it be a rejection or an interview invitation. Group includes large firms and boutiques in a number of markets, but mostly DC and NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:01 pm

OSG is hiring if any of you COA clerks want a chance to try out the Nuremberg defense.

https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/j ... torney-224

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some numbers for the group: I've applied to 36 firms since December and I have heard from 23 of them at this point, whether it be a rejection or an interview invitation. Group includes large firms and boutiques in a number of markets, but mostly DC and NY.

Have any of them made offers since the interviews? I've interviewed at 6 different big, non-boutique NY/DC firms over the last three weeks and there's silence.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Some numbers for the group: I've applied to 36 firms since December and I have heard from 23 of them at this point, whether it be a rejection or an interview invitation. Group includes large firms and boutiques in a number of markets, but mostly DC and NY.

Have any of them made offers since the interviews? I've interviewed at 6 different big, non-boutique NY/DC firms over the last three weeks and there's silence.


One was an offer about two weeks after the interview. Another was a rejection about three weeks after the interview. For what it's worth, I second what was said above about DC firms moving slowly. Half the large DC firms I applied to haven't gotten back to me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Today marks two weeks since one of my DC interviews. Nothing else on the horizon, so I'd really like that one to work out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:10 pm

I've probably mass emailed about 60 firms thus far. Gotten about 20 rejections back, and no requests for interviews. Idk what the deal is! Very discouraging.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Rejection from Cooley Palo Alto.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've probably mass emailed about 60 firms thus far. Gotten about 20 rejections back, and no requests for interviews. Idk what the deal is! Very discouraging.

Are you focusing on one market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've probably mass emailed about 60 firms thus far. Gotten about 20 rejections back, and no requests for interviews. Idk what the deal is! Very discouraging.

Are you focusing on one market?


Mainly DC and LA, with a a few scattered emails to other markets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've probably mass emailed about 60 firms thus far. Gotten about 20 rejections back, and no requests for interviews. Idk what the deal is! Very discouraging.

Are you focusing on one market?


Mainly DC and LA, with a a few scattered emails to other markets.

I wish it was easier for you, and for all of us. I'm sorry. Hopefully late this month is when they pick up the pace.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Something I just thought of that could affect hiring: How many of you are holding open offers from your SA? If there are a lot of people who haven't told their firms they aren't coming back, that could make firms slower on the hiring front.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:24 am

Generic Venable rejection. Wahoo.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Oh, hey there, Friday afternoon loss of hope!

Next week is our week, right? Right!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309332
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Cooley's generic ding email includes this line at the bottom (with a hyperlink back to their website):

"Cooley is one of Fortune’s '100 Best Companies to Work For'"

https://media.giphy.com/media/HwmB7t7krGnao/giphy.gif



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.