2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

I got rejected from Morgan Lewis LA within about an hour of applying. That's gotta be a new record.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got rejected from Morgan Lewis LA within about an hour of applying. That's gotta be a new record.

Whoa. The recruiters are ON the ball.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got rejected from Morgan Lewis LA within about an hour of applying. That's gotta be a new record.

Whoa. The recruiters are ON the ball.


Ha. I also had another recruiter I emailed, I don't remember the office, but she wrote back and said to please submit my application online as they can't accept it via email. I looked and there was no online opening, so I wrote back inquiring as to if they have somewhere on their website that I might have been missing where they take direct applications from clerks. She wrote back saying no, that they aren't hiring. Ha. I don't know why she didn't just start with that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got rejected from Morgan Lewis LA within about an hour of applying. That's gotta be a new record.

Whoa. The recruiters are ON the ball.


Ha. I also had another recruiter I emailed, I don't remember the office, but she wrote back and said to please submit my application online as they can't accept it via email. I looked and there was no online opening, so I wrote back inquiring as to if they have somewhere on their website that I might have been missing where they take direct applications from clerks. She wrote back saying no, that they aren't hiring. Ha. I don't know why she didn't just start with that.

That happened to me too! They're so coy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got rejected from Morgan Lewis LA within about an hour of applying. That's gotta be a new record.

Whoa. The recruiters are ON the ball.


Ha. I also had another recruiter I emailed, I don't remember the office, but she wrote back and said to please submit my application online as they can't accept it via email. I looked and there was no online opening, so I wrote back inquiring as to if they have somewhere on their website that I might have been missing where they take direct applications from clerks. She wrote back saying no, that they aren't hiring. Ha. I don't know why she didn't just start with that.

That happened to me too! They're so coy.


I suppose with all the lack of hiring, they have nothing better to do with their time than to waste it. I'd just appreciate them not wasting my time as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Is there any point in using a recruiter? A couple have reached out to me using my chambers email. Have any of you had any luck?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

If you don't mind, ford the people with Gibson DC rejections, what type/level of clerkships were you coming off of?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't mind, ford the people with Gibson DC rejections, what type/level of clerkships were you coming off of?

Federal district, from top 1/3 YHS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't mind, ford the people with Gibson DC rejections, what type/level of clerkships were you coming off of?


District Court in non coastal secondary market, T20. Biglaw experience post law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Dings from Fried Frank and Orrick, both DC, both after 2 days. :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dings from Fried Frank and Orrick, both DC, both after 2 days. :)

Super swift! I feel a little reassured when I get them now, for some weird reason.

Did Fried Frank say anything? I applied a couple of weeks ago, but silence.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Not a form response, but "no current needs."

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Received quick dings from Ropes, Proskauer and Morgan Lewis--all Chicago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Are we all just early in the process, or are we all just going to be screwed? I don't really see much of a positive outcome if I keep getting rejected to every big law firm I apply to. Does this mean I'll be lucky to find a small/mid law job?

Just trying to reset my expectations, and not freak out as much. Job search stuff has been weighing on my mind way too much lately.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are we all just early in the process, or are we all just going to be screwed? I don't really see much of a positive outcome if I keep getting rejected to every big law firm I apply to. Does this mean I'll be lucky to find a small/mid law job?

Just trying to reset my expectations, and not freak out as much. Job search stuff has been weighing on my mind way too much lately.

Wondering the same. You are not alone. Starting to feel 2009-ish.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't mind, ford the people with Gibson DC rejections, what type/level of clerkships were you coming off of?


Not a reject (yet). Had a phone screener and still waiting to hear about a full interview. Big law after law school, Dist Ct, COA, top 1/3 T10.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:11 am

Woke up to a nice early morning ding from McDermott DC. Guess they start early over there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Woke up to a nice early morning ding from McDermott DC. Guess they start early over there.

I do love a dingy coffee.

Grey_lampshade

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Grey_lampshade » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Any other state appellate clerks in here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Just received an interview invite from Williams and Connolly, applied about 3 weeks ago through their online system.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an interview invite from Williams and Connolly, applied about 3 weeks ago through their online system.


Care to share your stats, so to speak? D Court, or COA? Major market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an interview invite from Williams and Connolly, applied about 3 weeks ago through their online system.


Care to share your stats, so to speak? D Court, or COA? Major market?


DC and COA clerkships, both coastal secondary markets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an interview invite from Williams and Connolly, applied about 3 weeks ago through their online system.


Care to share your stats, so to speak? D Court, or COA? Major market?


DC and COA clerkships, both coastal secondary markets.

Mind sharing any educational background? School range/class rank?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an interview invite from Williams and Connolly, applied about 3 weeks ago through their online system.


Care to share your stats, so to speak? D Court, or COA? Major market?


DC and COA clerkships, both coastal secondary markets.

Mind sharing any educational background? School range/class rank?


Not OP, but I know two people who interviewed with W&C so far:

one guy was top few people at MVPB and COA feeder-lite
and one who was magna at Harvard and COA not feeder but judge who i'd say is fairly well respected

Anonymous User
Posts: 313758
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any point in using a recruiter? A couple have reached out to me using my chambers email. Have any of you had any luck?


I'm using one for my target market. Just started a week ago--I'll update here if he comes up with anything.



Return to “Judicial Clerkships?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.