2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2017 3:58 am

quiver wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:1) Was there any unanimity as to how to apply to firms without listed postings? I presume just an email to the contact attaching a resume? Writing sample or PDF cover letter?
Probably not unanimity on this. But email to the recruiting contact w/ cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript is probably sufficient.
JakeTappers wrote:2) For those of you that also applied to government, presuming firms move faster, what happens if you get a firm offer with a limited acceptance period before government is done? Simply accept and say f it, or accept and plan to renege?
If your long-term goal is government, then the latter (if you have to).
JakeTappers wrote:3) Combination of 1/2. Anyone apply to US Attorneys offices that are not posting but always hiring (i.e. SDNY, DC) - just dont know the mechanics of that.
Obviously things are messed up now with the hiring freeze/budget. In any case, I'm not sure what answer you're looking for here; just apply as indicated on their respective websites.
As to firms--individual cover letters with each via PDF or is the email the cover letter? Only asking because in a blanket process this probably doubles or triples time. As for the last question, I was getting at the fact that those details will have changed given the universal
Turnover at the top, that's all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Can anyone provide insight in the post-clerkship biglaw interview process? I am sure it all depends to a point but I'm curious if there is a somewhat consistent approach.

I have my first few interviews set up and I don't know if it's one round or if I should expect more if I'm successful.

I did OCI and landed a gig then so I have an idea of what the interviews themselves will be but not the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2017 11:01 pm

post-clerkship interview is just like OCI, screener then callback. If you're from out of town, screener is often done via phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 5:26 pm

I had an interview with a firm over a month ago, and still haven't heard back. I got in touch this week and they said they were still making decisions. I can respect that, but aghhhh. I'm ready to move forward one way or another and have a hard time understanding why it would take a month when I know the interviews were all done three weeks ago.

I have one more interview scheduled in a few weeks, so I haven't lost all hope. I'm just pretending the other firm is a nonstarter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interview with a firm over a month ago, and still haven't heard back. I got in touch this week and they said they were still making decisions. I can respect that, but aghhhh. I'm ready to move forward one way or another and have a hard time understanding why it would take a month when I know the interviews were all done three weeks ago.

I have one more interview scheduled in a few weeks, so I haven't lost all hope. I'm just pretending the other firm is a nonstarter.
No news is better than bad news. I've gotten about seven rejection emails since Friday. I guess a lot of firms are finishing up the process by now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 am

Are biglaw recruiters like recruiters in other industries in that they expect you to keep reiterating your interest? I interviewed in NY over a month ago and reconfirmed my interest a couple weeks ago, and they replied saying they hoped to have news soon. Now that it's been a couple more weeks, should I reach out again? Or will that cross over into pestering?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Any movement anywhere? I'm getting antsy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 21, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are biglaw recruiters like recruiters in other industries in that they expect you to keep reiterating your interest? I interviewed in NY over a month ago and reconfirmed my interest a couple weeks ago, and they replied saying they hoped to have news soon. Now that it's been a couple more weeks, should I reach out again? Or will that cross over into pestering?
I'd send another follow-up. I've noticed that firms are a bit slower this time of the year, and occasionally need prodding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are biglaw recruiters like recruiters in other industries in that they expect you to keep reiterating your interest? I interviewed in NY over a month ago and reconfirmed my interest a couple weeks ago, and they replied saying they hoped to have news soon. Now that it's been a couple more weeks, should I reach out again? Or will that cross over into pestering?
I'd send another follow-up. I've noticed that firms are a bit slower this time of the year, and occasionally need prodding.
Sent follow-up. Rejected. Might throw up. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's rough. Keep at it. There are still places looking for the fall. For instance, I know that Cleary is still looking in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's rough. Keep at it. There are still places looking for the fall. For instance, I know that Cleary is still looking in DC.
Lol they sure as shit weren't looking for me (different anon)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol they sure as shit weren't looking for me (different anon)
nor me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 8:51 pm

My co-clerk (Midwest non-Chicago COA) had an interview at Jones Day (Midwest non-Chicago office) last week and they're calling his references now. He had no previous biglaw experience (was a magistrate clerk before here) and #1 at a T4 school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 pm

District court clerk in competitive district (think D.Mass, E.D.N.Y.). Just got dinged by elite DC-based litigation boutique after a 6-hour callback. Not comfortable naming the firm publicly because they don't interview many. I'll PM if anyone's interested.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk in competitive district (think D.Mass, E.D.N.Y.). Just got dinged by elite DC-based litigation boutique after a 6-hour callback. Not comfortable naming the firm publicly because they don't interview many. I'll PM if anyone's interested.
Would you please PM me? Thanks.

ComesNowAS

New

Post by ComesNowAS » Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:District court clerk in competitive district (think D.Mass, E.D.N.Y.). Just got dinged by elite DC-based litigation boutique after a 6-hour callback. Not comfortable naming the firm publicly because they don't interview many. I'll PM if anyone's interested.
Me as well, if you don't mind! Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My co-clerk (Midwest non-Chicago COA) had an interview at Jones Day (Midwest non-Chicago office) last week and they're calling his references now. He had no previous biglaw experience (was a magistrate clerk before here) and #1 at a T4 school.
Update: he got the offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 8:21 pm

DC call back in two weeks. Standard lit practice. I guess the game is still on?

Paul Revere

New

Post by Paul Revere » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Sorry for the bad news, and thanks for sharing. Could you PM me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DC call back in two weeks. Standard lit practice. I guess the game is still on?
This past week I got three rejection letters for jobs I applied to over 2 or 3 months ago. Maybe they hired someone a long time ago, but maybe they're just starting interviews. Hard to tell.

Anyway, keep at it. A firm I applied to a few months ago said they had no positions, but this past week they emailed me asking if I was still interested. It's a small boutique, so YMMV.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DC call back in two weeks. Standard lit practice. I guess the game is still on?
This past week I got three rejection letters for jobs I applied to over 2 or 3 months ago. Maybe they hired someone a long time ago, but maybe they're just starting interviews. Hard to tell.

Anyway, keep at it. A firm I applied to a few months ago said they had no positions, but this past week they emailed me asking if I was still interested. It's a small boutique, so YMMV.
Happens a lot at small boutiques. Work slow = "no positions right now." 2-3 cases come in the door, "HOLY SHIT WE NEED 2 MORE ASSOCIATES."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Anything new? Is it panic time yet? I'm jobless with a clerkship ending in August. I have a firm interview this week, but I am feeling like it's my last reasonable shot. (I know it's not, but I am running out of ideas!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:10 pm

I accepted an offer a couple of months ago, but I keep getting rejections from firms I forgot I even applied to. I got a rejection letter from one of these firms yesterday and this morning we filed an order granting a pretty important motion of theirs. Small world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Are any COA or COA+ d. ct. clerks still looking? Trying to figure out what my outcome will be next cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are any COA or COA+ d. ct. clerks still looking? Trying to figure out what my outcome will be next cycle.
I know a few DJ clerks in my courthouse that are still looking for fall positions. To be fair, they don't seem to be too stressed or care all that much. They're all a few years out of law school and not dying to go back into big law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”