2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2016-17 Post-Clerkship Hiring Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are any COA or COA+ d. ct. clerks still looking? Trying to figure out what my outcome will be next cycle.
I know a few DJ clerks in my courthouse that are still looking for fall positions. To be fair, they don't seem to be too stressed or care all that much. They're all a few years out of law school and not dying to go back into big law.
This is definitely me right now. DJ clerk and not really that worried - although I should probably buckle down and send off some applications soon.

elizathornberry

New

Post by elizathornberry » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are any COA or COA+ d. ct. clerks still looking? Trying to figure out what my outcome will be next cycle.
D.Ct. clerk here; have had a couple interviews and about a million coffees/calls/email exchanges with both partners and associates and big law and nothing has stuck. I've looked exclusively in D.C. though, so the market is tough. Any leads from anyone else (those of you who are safely ensconced in a job)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

elizathornberry wrote:
D.Ct. clerk here; have had a couple interviews and about a million coffees/calls/email exchanges with both partners and associates and big law and nothing has stuck. I've looked exclusively in D.C. though, so the market is tough. Any leads from anyone else (those of you who are safely ensconced in a job)?
Still looking also

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:56 am

BK Clerk here. I have had a few callbacks in the DC/NY/PA area in the last month or so. I have also seen quite the uptick in junior restructuring postings. For those without anything lined up, just keep checking the job boards because the opportunities are there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 pm

I interviewed at a few DC firms a month+ ago. Silence. I am assuming the city is done for real now, other than one off posts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed at a few DC firms a month+ ago. Silence. I am assuming the city is done for real now, other than one off posts.
Were these callbacks? I really don't get why firms do this ghosting thing. It's unbelievably unprofessional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed at a few DC firms a month+ ago. Silence. I am assuming the city is done for real now, other than one off posts.
Were these callbacks? I really don't get why firms do this ghosting thing. It's unbelievably unprofessional.
They were callbacks. It's so frustrating. I interviewed with a handful in February and March and it was like pulling teeth to finally get the rejections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:
They were callbacks. It's so frustrating. I interviewed with a handful in February and March and it was like pulling teeth to finally get the rejections.
Sorry that happened to you. It's pretty pathetic.

elizathornberry

New

Post by elizathornberry » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:
This has happened to me both after a screener/coffee meeting and an in-office interview with 15 (!) lawyers. I've also been ghosted by essentially every recruiter I've spoken to (yes, I know most firms won't pay them for bringing a clerk in, but anyone who's worked with a recruiter is familiar with how much they overpromise in terms of "giving you informal help"). It boggles the mind that these people/places think they can get out of these situations without taking a hit to their professional reputations. But I suppose they do not care. Sorry this happened to you; you're not alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:12 pm

I've also been ghosted by essentially every recruiter I've spoken to (yes, I know most firms won't pay them for bringing a clerk in, but anyone who's worked with a recruiter is familiar with how much they overpromise in terms of "giving you informal help")
This +1000. Have been working with a recruiter for 4+ months. She's landed me 0 interviews. I've scored two callbacks simply by mass mailing, and one of these firms I had talked about with the recruiter before I reached out on my own. I can't help but wonder what exactly the recruiter has been doing and why I keep wasting my time on bi-weekly 30-minute calls with her.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:47 am

I too have been working with a recruiter. I did land one interview from it, but the firm selected a COA applicant. Otherwise, nothing. It is rough out there. Fingers crossed that something opens up soon. Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I too have been working with a recruiter. I did land one interview from it, but the firm selected a COA applicant. Otherwise, nothing. It is rough out there. Fingers crossed that something opens up soon. Good luck everyone!
DJ clerk here. A couple months ago I landed a COA clerkship for 2018-19. Meanwhile, I've sent over 200 job applications since January, and used a recruiter on top of that, and have gotten a grand total of 3 interviews and no offers (I didn't disclose the upcoming clerkship either, which I think would hurt my applications). It's hilarious to me that it's been easier to clerk on the COA than get a regular damn job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I too have been working with a recruiter. I did land one interview from it, but the firm selected a COA applicant. Otherwise, nothing. It is rough out there. Fingers crossed that something opens up soon. Good luck everyone!
DJ clerk here. A couple months ago I landed a COA clerkship for 2018-19. Meanwhile, I've sent over 200 job applications since January, and used a recruiter on top of that, and have gotten a grand total of 3 interviews and no offers (I didn't disclose the upcoming clerkship either, which I think would hurt my applications). It's hilarious to me that it's been easier to clerk on the COA than get a regular damn job.
can I ask your target market/law school stats/2L summer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good but not honors grades at lower T13. Clerking in the South. 2L summered at a gov't agency because I struck out at OCIs. I started by targeting DC and then expanded to NY, CA, TX, ATL, and Chicago, with meaningful geographic ties to about half of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good but not honors grades at lower T13. Clerking in the South. 2L summered at a gov't agency because I struck out at OCIs. I started by targeting DC and then expanded to NY, CA, TX, ATL, and Chicago, with meaningful geographic ties to about half of them.
I'm the poster with the original quote here. District Court clerk in major market (SDNY, EDNY, CDCA, DDC), 2-4 years private practice experience first (not biglaw), good grades but not coif at T20, summered at USAO, not interested in firms with reputations for crushing associates so selectively targeted firms in Baltimore, DC, Denver, and Portland (ties to all). expanding out now.

Edit: I should add that I did get three call backs for "Vault ranked" firms. 2 decided not to hire any clerks (so they said), and the other I just didn't get.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the poster with the original quote here. District Court clerk in major market (SDNY, EDNY, CDCA, DDC), 2-4 years private practice experience first (not biglaw), good grades but not coif at T20, summered at USAO, not interested in firms with reputations for crushing associates so selectively targeted firms in Baltimore, DC, Denver, and Portland (ties to all). expanding out now.
If your clerkship is in SDNY or DDC, could you please PM me? I'd be really interested in how you managed to snag that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Anybody else about ready to pop the cyanide pill? Lol I rejected an offer at the very beginning of my second D.Ct Clerkship that paid $110k in flyover territory because I thought I was going to be hot shit (had casual interest from Jones Day at the time). A grand total of 3 interviews a year later I would take that in a heartbeat. Dinged at 2 with one left that I am less than enthusiastic about taking. I have two other firm opportunities in their infancy, but in states I don't even have a bar pass yet in. Been applying all across America with a focus on Ohio, Kentucky and Georgia because that is where I have the most roots. More venting than anything but is this shit normal? My last co-clerk had to take a job with the state and my current co-clerk just ended up taking a job with the PD's office after striking out. Not sure what's going on out there. Somebody with experience in this said that people usually get hired at the very end of like July or August but damn is this stressful...was cool until about July 4.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 pm

^can you still reach out to the offering firm (110k) and accept that offer? They might still be interested in you if you turned down the offer with grace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Jchance wrote:^can you still reach out to the offering firm (110k) and accept that offer? They might still be interested in you if you turned down the offer with grace.
A year later when they likely have long filled the position? I doubt it. Frankly, they seemed less than enthused that I declined which is ironic because I did it because I was so confident I would get something better or equal that I didn't want to burn bridges by leading them on for a year and reneging. Zero clerkship bonus with 2,000 billables just seemed pretty mediocre for me given the available markets. I might swallow my pride and go back and beg if things keep going south but long story short I think that ship has sailed.

Sidenote-Comparing this thread to previous years on this forum, it seems like everybody is having a bit of trouble. That gives me a little solace that I'm not some kind of mutant but not enough that I'm not going to go have a whiskey...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Anyone know how long post-Quinn callback it takes to get dinged or receive an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else about ready to pop the cyanide pill? Lol I rejected an offer at the very beginning of my second D.Ct Clerkship that paid $110k in flyover territory because I thought I was going to be hot shit (had casual interest from Jones Day at the time). A grand total of 3 interviews a year later I would take that in a heartbeat. Dinged at 2 with one left that I am less than enthusiastic about taking. I have two other firm opportunities in their infancy, but in states I don't even have a bar pass yet in. Been applying all across America with a focus on Ohio, Kentucky and Georgia because that is where I have the most roots. More venting than anything but is this shit normal? My last co-clerk had to take a job with the state and my current co-clerk just ended up taking a job with the PD's office after striking out. Not sure what's going on out there. Somebody with experience in this said that people usually get hired at the very end of like July or August but damn is this stressful...was cool until about July 4.
Would you mind sharing your stats/info? I'm about to start a clerkship and have a similar offer (flyover, $100k-ish) that I haven't made a decision on. Scared to let something concrete go based on an assumption that I'll likely get something else in the spring. Additional data points on your school/rank/clerkship would be helpful, if possible!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Idon'tcare28

New

Post by Idon'tcare28 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else about ready to pop the cyanide pill? Lol I rejected an offer at the very beginning of my second D.Ct Clerkship that paid $110k in flyover territory because I thought I was going to be hot shit (had casual interest from Jones Day at the time). A grand total of 3 interviews a year later I would take that in a heartbeat. Dinged at 2 with one left that I am less than enthusiastic about taking. I have two other firm opportunities in their infancy, but in states I don't even have a bar pass yet in. Been applying all across America with a focus on Ohio, Kentucky and Georgia because that is where I have the most roots. More venting than anything but is this shit normal? My last co-clerk had to take a job with the state and my current co-clerk just ended up taking a job with the PD's office after striking out. Not sure what's going on out there. Somebody with experience in this said that people usually get hired at the very end of like July or August but damn is this stressful...was cool until about July 4.
Would you mind sharing your stats/info? I'm about to start a clerkship and have a similar offer (flyover, $100k-ish) that I haven't made a decision on. Scared to let something concrete go based on an assumption that I'll likely get something else in the spring. Additional data points on your school/rank/clerkship would be helpful, if possible!

Sure. Only reason why I am slightly skiddish is my stats are super recognizable to anybody who looks on this who knows my resume. T-60 law school (my worst stat) Coif, journal, two post law school publications, two mid-sized summer positions, two D.Ct clerkships (straight from law school to one and straight from one to the other) in two different jurisdictions, bar passage in Ohio and Kentucky. 28 years old. Both my judges are fans and are good references. And for what it's worth I'm extroverted and I think I interview well but who knows. My advice is to haggle your way up and just take the damn thing. If you get something better renege. They will hate you for the rest of time but they have 1,000+ awesome applicants and you'll have at best two or three decent offers. My buddy once reneged on an SA offer in the middle of the year and the managing partner cussed him out for five minutes straight over the phone. Nonetheless he is still in the position he loves and he doesn't regret a thing.

This may help too. My co-clerk was T-20 top 12%, Ivy UG, journal, editorial board, one publication in law school with a MA and basically was shut out until May (don't think he had one big law interview) until he took a PD position at 50k. Also two years out of law school, worked for Public Interest in his gap year before clerkship while I did another D.Ct position. Only applied in one state for firms, but COA nationally (shut out, no interviews). We've both moved around a lot for school and work so the "flight risk" factor may be a problem for both of us.

My previous co-clerk was *ahem* eccentric. He was top 10% T-100 (I think) EIC of Journal, 2 years Magistrate Judge experience, 1.5 years D.Ct,1-2 years small firm. Shut out the whole year big law, rejected mid law at least once took a state agency position at like 50k. Both outcomes of both my colleagues is a miserable finish to me, but to each his own.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 am

Curious, what was the logic in doing two flyover clerkships? That seems like it would hurt your chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:36 am

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Curious, what was the logic in doing two flyover clerkships? That seems like it would hurt your chances.
Different priorities. I am from so called "flyover" territory and seek to work there but I use that lingo just to give a little perspective on a coastal-centric forum. So while I have little doubt NY, CA, DC firms are not entirely impressed, "flyover" firms I thought would bite.

In terms of doing two, I accepted one two years out in law school and ended up doing one in the interim gap year with a newly appointed judge. I think from a resume standpoint it has been a mild assistance rather than a detriment but the big value I thought would be opening an entirely new market (not from the state or have connections to the state I am currently clerking in) and that has in general been false.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:03 pm

D. Ct. alumni clerk here. I think what i'm figuring is pretty much what i sort of already knew, that these opportunities are great experience but just not worth uprooting your life for. And they won't make a meaningful difference in your attractiveness to firms. Like no one outside of my district seems very impressed at all, and I'm not clerking in a flyover. I'm pretty sure I'm headed for at least temporary unemployment/extremely low-paying legal aid or state/local gvt jobs once I'm done (unless I pass this bar exam next week, which I'm not going to; I probably have market-paying job in the district I'm clerking waiting for me if I do). Not that I necessarily mind that, I hated private practice before and would probably hate it again. Just was a bad, dumb decision to start a clerkship in an election year hoping to use it to get into govt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”