Two-Year District Court Salary Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Two-Year District Court Salary

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Entering into a two-year federal district court clerkship starting fall 2017. Judge also had open application for one-year spot starting fall 2017, which also got filled. There's currently a two-year clerk, who'll end the year after I start. By my math, that means in 2017-2018, there'll potentially be 3 clerks and the JA. I had heard D.Ct. judges typically only get 3 staffers (including JAs), but I may be wrong. The judge also indicated that my substantive duties will be somewhat different the first year (a lot more in-court-time), though the OSCAR posting listed it as Term Law Clerk-Chambers and the judge's description referred generally to the two years as a clerk. Should I be worried I'm not considered a "clerk" (and not JSP-11 or any other of the features of being a term clerk) that first year?

Anonymous User

Re: Two-Year District Court Salary

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Are you clerking for a chief judge? They usually get extra staff.

I doubt if you were hired as a term clerk that that is not the case in reality. A quick email to the JA or to the court's HR department should clarify things.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you clerking for a chief judge? They usually get extra staff.

I doubt if you were hired as a term clerk that that is not the case in reality. A quick email to the JA or to the court's HR department should clarify things.
Not a chief judge... I've got emails out to the JA and the current two-year clerk to see the treatment, but wanted to check and see if anyone here had similar experiences. I'm sure it's all alright considering term clerk position on OSCAR (and interviews and all that expressing it as term clerkship), but had some momentary confusion when I had the staff-size realization.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are you clerking for a chief judge? They usually get extra staff.

Not a chief judge... I've got emails out to the JA and the current two-year clerk to see the treatment, but wanted to check and see if anyone here had similar experiences. I'm sure it's all alright considering term clerk position on OSCAR (and interviews and all that expressing it as term clerkship), but had some momentary confusion when I had the staff-size realization.
Can't speak for certain, but it sounds like your chambers may not have a courtroom deputy and the judge may have rolled the deputy position into the first year of the clerkship. If that's the case, it should not impact your classification as a clerk. Deputy duty may actually be a great way to meet members of the criminal law bar since they usually handle all of that related paperwork.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 pm

It appears to be the case that the judge dispensed with the independent courtroom deputy and wrapped it into that first year of the two-year clerkship (maybe being paid as a different scale than JSP-11 for that first year, but then up to JSP-12 for the second year). Follow-up question: I imagine it still goes on the 'ole resume as a "2 year clerkship", considering it was listed on OSCAR as a two year position, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It appears to be the case that the judge dispensed with the independent courtroom deputy and wrapped it into that first year of the two-year clerkship (maybe being paid as a different scale than JSP-11 for that first year, but then up to JSP-12 for the second year). Follow-up question: I imagine it still goes on the 'ole resume as a "2 year clerkship", considering it was listed on OSCAR as a two year position, right?
You can check with the judge/JA/HR if you want to be absolutely certain, but you're almost certainly fine calling it a two-year clerkship.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Also, this is obviously anecdotal, but all the judges I know who rolled the CRD or similar role into a clerkship still has the CRD/clerk do some clerk stuff, just not as much as if clerking was your sole role.

Frankly you will probably get a decent grounding in the logistics of cases/filing from doing the CRD stuff (I'm sure some of it won't be helpful but some of it probably will be, if you're going into lit).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”