2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current 2L here. I haven't applied yet; is it too late if I wanted '19-20?


Depends. Where do you want to apply?

User avatar
BulletTooth
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby BulletTooth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Current 2L here. I haven't applied yet; is it too late if I wanted '19-20?


For some judges, yes. But there are probably still a decent number who haven't begun hiring for 2019-2020. Go check OSCAR for a better idea. My gut feeling is that there will be a decent amount of district court who haven't hired yet or are just beginning to hire. CoA may be tougher to find, but they are still out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:23 am

Any movement with circuit judges recently? Anything?! I've been applying to circuit judges all over the country for the past three months, but I have not heard a thing.

User avatar
betty_bojangles
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby betty_bojangles » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Quick question -- I graduate in 2018 and secured a post-grad clerkship for 2018/19, and I am applying to another clerkship for 2019/20. Is it appropriate to check the "yes" boxes on OSCAR for "Legal work experience post-law school" and "post-graduate judicial clerkship"?

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby mjb447 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Quick question -- I graduate in 2018 and secured a post-grad clerkship for 2018/19, and I am applying to another clerkship for 2019/20. Is it appropriate to check the "yes" boxes on OSCAR for "Legal work experience post-law school" and "post-graduate judicial clerkship"?

I would. Definitely for post-grad clerkship (they're generally trying to figure out if you'll already know something about clerking when you come work for them, not whether you've already clerked at the time when you apply), and if a judge filtering for "legal work experience" is looking for something other than clerkship experience, let them weed you out on that basis rather than preemptively taking yourself out of the running.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Does anyone know if Liu or Kruger on the CA Supreme Court has hired for 2019?

FascinatedWanderer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Liu definitely has. I don't know specifics, but he had hired for the 2017 term years ago. I'd be extremely surprised if he hasn't hired for 2019 by now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Liu definitely has. I don't know specifics, but he had hired for the 2017 term years ago. I'd be extremely surprised if he hasn't hired for 2019 by now.

Any info on Kruger?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Liu or Kruger on the CA Supreme Court has hired for 2019?


Can confirm that Liu is likely hiring or has already hired for 2019-2020.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Liu or Kruger on the CA Supreme Court has hired for 2019?


Can confirm that Liu is likely hiring or has already hired for 2019-2020.


Not OP, but do you know how heavily these justices value work experience? I have three years including a district clerkship. Wondering if that is enough to make up for non-LR grades.

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Liu or Kruger on the CA Supreme Court has hired for 2019?


Can confirm that Liu is likely hiring or has already hired for 2019-2020.


Not OP, but do you know how heavily these justices value work experience? I have three years including a district clerkship. Wondering if that is enough to make up for non-LR grades.

You need feeder-level (maybe you could squeak by with semi-feeder-level?) grades to work for Liu.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Does anyone have info on Judge Rogers in the D.C. Circuit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:40 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Liu or Kruger on the CA Supreme Court has hired for 2019?


Can confirm that Liu is likely hiring or has already hired for 2019-2020.


Not OP, but do you know how heavily these justices value work experience? I have three years including a district clerkship. Wondering if that is enough to make up for non-LR grades.

You need feeder-level (maybe you could squeak by with semi-feeder-level?) grades to work for Liu.


Can confirm Liu and Kruger require top grades/rank on par with 2/9/DC Circuit feeders. At my law school (HYS), straight H's (/DS) are a prerequisite and profs will need to make phone calls to even get a hard look.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have info on Judge Rogers in the D.C. Circuit?


Can't find it, but I recall reading on one of these threads that Judge Rogers tends to hire pretty late. I looked up her previous clerks, all seem to be top of their class. I am not sure how she views work experience and whether that is enough to make up for less than amazing grades. I submitted my app to her months ago, never heard a thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:15 pm

At my YHS Liu, Kruger, and (to a lesser extent) Cuellar are treated on par with other competitive judges in the 9th circuit. California-focused folks with top grades will often try to pair Liu or Kruger with a 9th circuit judge instead of a D.Ct judge. From my experience Liu is hiring after 1L summer, while Kruger seems to wait until folks have already secured a COA clerkship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have info on Judge Rogers in the D.C. Circuit?


Can't find it, but I recall reading on one of these threads that Judge Rogers tends to hire pretty late. I looked up her previous clerks, all seem to be top of their class. I am not sure how she views work experience and whether that is enough to make up for less than amazing grades. I submitted my app to her months ago, never heard a thing.


Can confirm late-ish hiring (I interviewed in January for 2018). She's very nice, easy to talk to, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 am

Has anyone who interviewed with Chutkan heard back either way?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am

To follow, has anyone who interviewed with Judge Urbanski heard back?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Anyone hear from CDCal recently? It seems so dead compared to this time last year judging from prior threads...

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Can confirm CDCal is actively interviewing for 19-20.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am

When are we expecting the next wave of COA interviews?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 pm

For 2019, I strongly doubt there is much of a wave to come. Most are done. In fact 2020 hiring is well under way.

HeedMyWarning
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:42 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby HeedMyWarning » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For 2019, I strongly doubt there is much of a wave to come. Most are done. In fact 2020 hiring is well under way.

This is an overstatement. I would say that more slots are available than have been filled. However, most of the feeders and judges on popular circuits have filled up. The next big wave of movement will likely be early next year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm CDCal is actively interviewing for 19-20.


Any ideas of who / how many CDCal judges interviewing for 2019-20 and whether that includes JD '19 applicants?

Anonymous User
Posts: 301232
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2019-20 Clerkship Application Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm CDCal is actively interviewing for 19-20.


Any ideas of who / how many CDCal judges interviewing for 2019-20 and whether that includes JD '19 applicants?


I know Snyder is done for 19-20, not sure if her hires are JD '19.




Return to “Judicial Clerkships”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.