Letters of Recommendation

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
peet123

New

Letters of Recommendation

Postby peet123 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 am

If you are applying to a clerkship 1-2 years after law school ends, do you still need letters of recommendation from professors, or do you only get letters from employers at a law firm?

quiver

Silver

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Postby quiver » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:40 am

You should get rec letters from those who can write the strongest rec letters. If you're a few years out of law school that's probably someone who has been working with you, although there are certainly no hard-and-fast rules.

angryhedgehog

New

Postby angryhedgehog » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 pm

quiver wrote:You should get rec letters from those who can write the strongest rec letters. If you're a few years out of law school that's probably someone who has been working with you, although there are certainly no hard-and-fast rules.

Thoughts on asking associates vs. partners? I work closely with a senior associate on a couple cases who I'm relatively confident would give me a strong recommendation. I just haven't had enough of an opportunity to work closely with too many partners, and not sure if that's a dealbreaker for judges.

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:44 am

angryhedgehog wrote:
quiver wrote:You should get rec letters from those who can write the strongest rec letters. If you're a few years out of law school that's probably someone who has been working with you, although there are certainly no hard-and-fast rules.

Thoughts on asking associates vs. partners? I work closely with a senior associate on a couple cases who I'm relatively confident would give me a strong recommendation. I just haven't had enough of an opportunity to work closely with too many partners, and not sure if that's a dealbreaker for judges.

If the senior associate can best comment on your work, that's probably your best bet. It really should be a senior associate, though. I wouldn't generally recommend using an associate who's any more junior than that.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�