Past Judicial Opinions as Writing Samples Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Snowy Shaw

New

Past Judicial Opinions as Writing Samples

Post by Snowy Shaw » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:00 pm

3L currently applying for clerkships for next year (hurray for surprise no offer), and for one of my writing samples, I was thinking about including one of the opinions I helped draft for a state court appellate judge I externed for my 1L year.

Would it be acceptable to have that as one of my writing samples, so long as I explained in the writing sample cover letter what it was about? I also planned to include a pro bono memo I did over the summer as the "main" writing sample.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Past Judicial Opinions as Writing Samples

Post by BVest » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Snowy Shaw wrote:3L currently applying for clerkships for next year (hurray for surprise no offer), and for one of my writing samples, I was thinking about including one of the opinions I helped draft for a state court appellate judge I externed for my 1L year.

Would it be acceptable to have that as one of my writing samples, so long as I explained in the writing sample cover letter what it was about? I also planned to include a pro bono memo I did over the summer as the "main" writing sample.
You'll want to check with the judge/look back on the policies you were given at the time of your externship. Many judges would not permit this.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Snowy Shaw wrote:3L currently applying for clerkships for next year (hurray for surprise no offer), and for one of my writing samples, I was thinking about including one of the opinions I helped draft for a state court appellate judge I externed for my 1L year.

1. Ask your judge. S/he will likely want to see it.

2. You should be very honest in the cover letter about your role in the opinion and how much editing their was by clerks/judge.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:19 pm

The other posters are right to recommend that you ask your judge about using an opinion as a writing sample. But even if you get permission to use it, I advise against doing so. I think it makes some judges uncomfortable to see an applicant use a judicial opinion as a writing sample, even if the authoring judge gave permission. A well-written bench memo is safer (and also more helpful as a writing sample).

If the state appellate court judge really liked you, ask him to write a letter explaining what a nice job you did drafting that opinion for him. But I wouldn't use the opinion itself as a writing sample.

Snowy Shaw

New

Post by Snowy Shaw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have some other good writing samples I can use instead, but using something I previously wrote for another judge sounded good in my head. I can see now why it's probably not the best idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”