Question on Using a Motion as a Writing Sample Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Question on Using a Motion as a Writing Sample

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Planning on using a motion I wrote for my clinic last semester. Do I have to include the formal "Plaintiff v. Defendant; docket no. xx-yyyy" heading on the writing sample like it was being submitted to court or can I just write "Motion to Dismiss" on the top?

Asking because submitting with the formal heading would require me to ask my clinic professor for the heading and I would rather submit ASAP.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Question on Using a Motion as a Writing Sample

Post by BVest » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Planning on using a motion I wrote for my clinic last semester. Do I have to include the formal "Plaintiff v. Defendant; docket no. xx-yyyy" heading on the writing sample like it was being submitted to court or can I just write "Motion to Dismiss" on the top?

Asking because submitting with the formal heading would require me to ask my clinic professor for the heading and I would rather submit ASAP.
I don't think you need it. I simply include my name and "Writing Sample – Brief Argument for [type of case] Appeal"
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

deuceindc

Bronze

Re: Question on Using a Motion as a Writing Sample

Post by deuceindc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Planning on using a motion I wrote for my clinic last semester. Do I have to include the formal "Plaintiff v. Defendant; docket no. xx-yyyy" heading on the writing sample like it was being submitted to court or can I just write "Motion to Dismiss" on the top?

I'd put that info in the writing sample's cover page.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”