Figuring out Salary for Two Clerkships?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
NYTex025

New

Figuring out Salary for Two Clerkships?

Postby NYTex025 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:22 am

Hey guys! In need of some TLS wisdom here. I'm spending a year working at a firm after graduation, then one year clerking for a federal district court, then two years clerking for a federal appellate court. My question is this: how will salary for the last two years be determined? I get that I'll be JSP-12, step 1 for the first year. But after that, will I jump to JSP-13 for the next two years (since it'll be a different clerkship) or just keep progressing along the JSP-12 track?

Also, word on the street (read: the JSP site) is that a person with two years of federal clerkships under her belt will start any subsequent clerkship at JSP-14, step 1. Guessing this won't apply since I'll only get the two years of experience once I'm halfway through clerkship #2?

Anyway, any and all wisdom would be appreciated. God bless whoever answers this convoluted question. :)

Anonymous User

Re: Figuring out Salary for Two Clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:41 pm

You will be JSP 13 when you begin your second clerkship. I think you are eligible for JP 14 in the second year of that clerkship, but (a) those mid-clerkship bumps are at the discretion of your judge and (b) there can only be one JSP 14 employee in any court chambers at a time.

Anonymous User

Re: Figuring out Salary for Two Clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You will be JSP 13 when you begin your second clerkship. I think you are eligible for JP 14 in the second year of that clerkship, but (a) those mid-clerkship bumps are at the discretion of your judge and (b) there can only be one JSP 14 employee in any court chambers at a time.

Current clerk and I can confirm most of the above is accurate. I was bumped from JSP-11 to JSP-12 just before the start of the second year of my clerkship after my judge approved the change.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�