OSCAR Judges Listing Multiple, Separate Positions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
I'm_All_In

New

OSCAR Judges Listing Multiple, Separate Positions

Post by I'm_All_In » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:16 am

I've tried to peruse the forum board to find the answer to this question, but when a judge posts multiple, separate positions for a single year (i.e., June 2017 and a separate one for August 2017), do I have to finalize two separate applications to be considered for both positions? My guy is telling me: "c'mon dude, the judge posted 2 separate positions for a reason...." However, what actually happens in practice? Does the law clerk/judge view the two accounts separately and consider you for only the exact timeframe you've applied for? Or if they like you enough to call you in for an interview, will they consider you for both spots, which only have a one-month start date difference?

If I'm ever fortunate to land an interview, could I let them know verbally that I would like to be considered for both start dates? Is this acceptable, or would they respond, "well, to be fair to other applicants who did utilize 2 of their 100 OSCAR spots, we can only consider you for the term you actually applied for."

Only reason this matters is because OSCAR limits you to 100 total online applications and applying to the same judge for 2 positions means I've already used 2 out of 100 spots. A possible solution could be creating just one application for just one position, but writing in my cover letter that I would like to be considered for both 2017 positions? Thanks in advance.

Laser Lady

New

Re: OSCAR Judges Listing Multiple, Separate Positions

Post by Laser Lady » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 pm

I'm_All_In wrote:A possible solution could be creating just one application for just one position, but writing in my cover letter that I would like to be considered for both 2017 positions? Thanks in advance.
That's what I would do.

emkay625

Gold

Re: OSCAR Judges Listing Multiple, Separate Positions

Post by emkay625 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:21 pm

Since every judge is different, this is going to be impossible to know for sure. But my guess is 90% of judges (probably even more) will consider you for either spot.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”