Clerkship Prep

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Prep

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:09 pm

Apologies if someone's already posted on this; I'd be happy to be directed to a responsive thread if one exists.

Essentially, I'm done with the bar (thank God) and have three weeks off before beginning a federal district court clerkship. I plan to be on vacation for most of that three weeks, but also want to make sure that I start my clerkship off on the right foot. Is there anything I should do to prep for the clerkship? Particularly, I did not take some of the classes that clerks traditionally take — Admin, Crim Pro, Civil Lit, Fourteenth Amendment. Should I try to do some light prep on those subjects?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

elipad

New

Re: Clerkship Prep

Postby elipad » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:45 pm

I'd suggest not. Now is the time to relax and get rested before starting your clerkship. Plus, how much can you learn about these subject areas in such a short amount of time (assuming, of course, that you will be vacationing for most of it)? If you absolutely feel the need to do something, I'd suggest reading a few of your judge's opinions and/or memos written by prior clerks, if there was such a practice. Good luck and enjoy the time off!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:19 pm

You didn't take a few critically important classes that most clerks will have taken and are extremely important to your duties as a clerk.
Crim Pro
14th amendment
Civil litigation.
Good luck!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Eh, you have to learn it on the job anyway. You'll be fine.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:09 pm

"Civil litigation" is a class? What does it cover--discovery disputes?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:11 pm

kellyfrost wrote:You didn't take a few critically important classes that most clerks will have taken and are extremely important to your duties as a clerk.
Crim Pro
14th amendment
Civil litigation.

Good luck!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:25 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:"Civil litigation" is a class? What does it cover--discovery disputes?

To be fair, my school had "complex civil litigation," which was basically advanced civ pro, and mostly addressed how everything works in class action suits or other complex multi-party litigation.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:"Civil litigation" is a class? What does it cover--discovery disputes?

To be fair, my school had "complex civil litigation," which was basically advanced civ pro, and mostly addressed how everything works in class action suits or other complex multi-party litigation.

Oh, ok. We had that too. I think the lack of "complex" was an important modifier that threw me off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:03 am

Starting in 3 weeks as well and am starting to read the federal clerk manual and may read a similar one I found publish by Thompson Reuters. Was planning on skimming the local rules and judges standing orders and the like as well. This holds zero water since I haven't started and I was not recommended these, just found them, but FYI.

OutCold

Bronze

Postby OutCold » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:25 am

Read a few of your judge's old opinions. You're going to be learning most of the substance on the fly anyway, and most of the issues will be identified by the briefing. Fundamentally, understand the standards for granting/denying MTDs and MSJs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if someone's already posted on this; I'd be happy to be directed to a responsive thread if one exists.

Essentially, I'm done with the bar (thank God) and have three weeks off before beginning a federal district court clerkship. I plan to be on vacation for most of that three weeks, but also want to make sure that I start my clerkship off on the right foot. Is there anything I should do to prep for the clerkship? Particularly, I did not take some of the classes that clerks traditionally take — Admin, Crim Pro, Civil Lit, Fourteenth Amendment. Should I try to do some light prep on those subjects?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

I feel the same advice applies to starting a clerkship as to starting law school: don't worry about preparing right now. There is no guarantee you'll get a particular type of case. Sure knowing certain rules or standard of review is helpful but that is all something you can quickly pick up on the job. A decent portion of my cases at my clerkship ended up being on a complex topic I had zero classes in; you learn as you go. Good luck!

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:55 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Eh, you have to learn it on the job anyway. You'll be fine.
Yeah, I think this is right. No point in learning any substantive law before you start. If you're really jonesing to read something, I'd skim the FRCP and/or re-read your civ pro outline.

Otherwise, just chill and enjoy the vacation.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?