State Court Clerkship for someone interested in Public Interest?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

State Court Clerkship for someone interested in Public Interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm curious if a state court clerkship (though probably not State Supreme Court) would be a good idea right out of law school for someone who is interested in doing public interest work further down the line. I'm going to be a 3L at a school in the bottom half of the T-14 and I'm currently working (for the summer) at a public interest organization that works in the area I am interested in. However, the office I'm at apparently does not hire people right out of law school, and in general it appears to be difficult for law school graduates to get public interest positions in this area right out of law school. Thus, I'm thinking about possibly applying for clerkships back in my home market where I have strong connections, and where my credentials seem likely to play well (the market doesn't have any T-14 schools in it). However, if I were to do so, I may try to leave that market to find a public interest position in the future. Would this still be a good idea? Is the experience worth it?

Also, if it matters I'm probably going to graduate with manageable debt (60-70k or so), so I'm not too worried about money. The main issue for me is, if I do a state court clerkship back home will it help me get a public interest job even if that job is not in my home market?

Thanks!

BVest

Platinum

Re: State Court Clerkship for someone interested in Public Interest?

Postby BVest » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I'm curious if a state court clerkship (though probably not State Supreme Court) would be a good idea right out of law school for someone who is interested in doing public interest work further down the line. I'm going to be a 3L at a school in the bottom half of the T-14 and I'm currently working (for the summer) at a public interest organization that works in the area I am interested in. However, the office I'm at apparently does not hire people right out of law school, and in general it appears to be difficult for law school graduates to get public interest positions in this area right out of law school. Thus, I'm thinking about possibly applying for clerkships back in my home market where I have strong connections, and where my credentials seem likely to play well (the market doesn't have any T-14 schools in it). However, if I were to do so, I may try to leave that market to find a public interest position in the future. Would this still be a good idea? Is the experience worth it?

Also, if it matters I'm probably going to graduate with manageable debt (60-70k or so), so I'm not too worried about money. The main issue for me is, if I do a state court clerkship back home will it help me get a public interest job even if that job is not in my home market?

Thanks!

I doubt that a state court clerkship in market H will make you more attractive to PI orgs in market S. Are there not clerkships you can go for in market S? (I mean, I understand that Market S may be DC, which complicates things).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: State Court Clerkship for someone interested in Public Interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:59 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Thanks!

I doubt that a state court clerkship in market H will make you more attractive to PI orgs in market S. Are there not clerkships you can go for in market S? (I mean, I understand that Market S may be DC, which complicates things).

Thank you for your response.

The problem with trying to find a clerkship in "Market S" (not DC) is that my connections to that market are not nearly as impressive. I have family in Market S, have visited them many times, am currently working there for this summer, but was not born, raised, or go to school there. My connections to my home market are much stronger, and there are people with clout who could advocate on my behalf. Also, my home market is very insulated, so the fact that I was born and raised there, left to attend undergrad and law school (at schools that people in my home market would probably have a lot of respect for), and would then be returning could weigh heavily in my favor.

Also, I might be able to live with my parents if I go home, which could enable me to pay off that debt even faster. But again, money isn't critical. I'm more interested in whether or not such a position would at least get me experience and if not help at least not hurt my chances at working in Market S.

Also, how would a state court clerkship compare to, say, an administrative judge clerkship? I'd think that if the admin judge is in an area related to the PI work I would want to do that would help right? What if it's unrelated?

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�