Minnesota Supreme Court

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Minnesota Supreme Court

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Anyone know if they're done hiring for 2017? I saw that the MN court of appeals is taking apps on the government site, but no SC.

Can anyone comment on the value of a clerkship with either court? Would top 10ish percent from a non-local T1 (but went to UG there + family nearby) have a shot at either?

Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: Minnesota Supreme Court

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: worth it - Justice Stras is very connected to upper levels of the Fedsoc crowd. Recommendation from him would be incredibly valuable and I anticipate he will be on 2020 gop candidates short list.

Count1234

New

Postby Count1234 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 pm

MN state clerkship hiring is pretty cyclic. Supreme Court hires first, then COA gets next dibs on candidates, then district courts. Supreme court posts one position listing for all clerks they will hire for a term, and all justices will look at the apps that are received from this one listing. Each individual justice gets to extend interviews to anyone they like, but the interview will be with all the justices. After your interview if a justice liked you, they will extend an offer, but it doesn't have to be the one that chose to extend an interview. COA hires after all Supreme court hiring is done. So to answer your question, MN Supreme Court has likely already hired for the 2017 term since COA is accepting applications now. The listing for the 2017 clerks was posted early this year (like around Feb-Mar). The listing closed near end of March, so I assume they've interviewed and hired by now.

MN clerkship hiring is done by a state governmental branch (the judicial one) so they have to follow the state laws on hiring for the government. They have to post a position listing, etc. The 2017 listing was on the governmentjobs website.

The clerks that I've met are generally from the area schools (Mitchell Hamline, Minnesota Law, St. Thomas), although last year there was one clerk from Stanford.

Fireworks2016

New

Postby Fireworks2016 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:34 pm

They've been done since early June for 2017.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�