Reapplying to judge

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Reapplying to judge

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 pm

I applied to and interviewed with a particular COA judge during summer after 1L. I'm now a rising 3L with a district court clerkship lined up. I really like this judge and think they'd be a great fit for what I want to do.

Is there a norm about judges and hiring applicants they've interviewed and rejected in the past?

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Reapplying to judge

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to and interviewed with a particular COA judge during summer after 1L. I'm now a rising 3L with a district court clerkship lined up. I really like this judge and think they'd be a great fit for what I want to do.

Is there a norm about judges and hiring applicants they've interviewed and rejected in the past?

I would say the norm is that once you're interviewed and rejected, that's it.

But, hey, each judge is unique. Perhaps this judge wouldn't mind reconsidering you. I'd ask a former clerk of the judge about this.

ETA: Also, do you have a recommender who knows the judge? If so, ask the person to call the judge to feel out the situation.

wwwcol

Bronze

Postby wwwcol » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:00 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to and interviewed with a particular COA judge during summer after 1L. I'm now a rising 3L with a district court clerkship lined up. I really like this judge and think they'd be a great fit for what I want to do.

But, hey, each judge is unique. Perhaps this judge wouldn't mind reconsidering you. I'd ask a former clerk of the judge about this.

ETA: Also, do you have a recommender who knows the judge? If so, ask the person to call the judge to feel out the situation.

I think your first line is right. Interviews tend to be about fit, not qualifications, and lining up a D Ct clerkship obviously doesn't change fit. I probably wouldn't bother to apply again, but the cost of applying is minimal so you might as well if you're still interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:39 am

Edit: because I misread this post to say that you initially applied for an internship, then now are applying for clerkship.

I once had a Judge, during a phone call telling me I didn't get the job, tell me that I should apply again for the following term. I know a few clerks (including a COA clerk) who were rejected for a year X clerkship, but ended up getting hired for that same judge's year X+1 clerkship.

I would apply. What is the worst that can happen, they say no again?

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am

Try again. Like anon above said, the worst that can happen is the judge says no again. On the other hand, you know your paper credentials (assuming they haven't gotten worse over time) already got you an interview the first time, and who knows what happened. Maybe the judge interviewed 10 people and you were just 5th on his list when he chose his 4 clerks. I had a call from a judge who interviewed and rejected me before. Ultimately decided not to pursue that clerkship as I had gotten another one, but it happens.

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:48 am

rpupkin wrote:

100% agree with this. I once interviewed with a COA judge and got rejected, then had a recommender reach out a couple years later and I got another interview. It happens.

ndirish2010

Gold

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm

The circuit judge I'm clerking for next year had interviewed me back in 2013. That interview went well, but there just weren't enough spots. Two years later, he hired me.

BVest

Platinum

Postby BVest » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Do apply. While clerkship interviews are about fit, as stated above, not getting it doesn't necessarily mean you didn't fit if the judge is interviewing multiple applicants; it simply means someone else appeared to fit better.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Current clerk and my judge has hired at least one person who he had previously interviewed but the current clerks were 'meh' about him/her. Person came back to interview the following year and the new set of clerks liked him/her and he/she was offered a clerkship. It happens!

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�