Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Re: Retroactively take a few pass or keep grade

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 pm

I think I'd keep it so as to not have a red flag, and as a check against regression to the mean, which is common.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:13 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:I think I'd keep it so as to not have a red flag, and as a check against regression to the mean, which is common.

That was sort of what I am leaning towards, the slightly better GPA isn't any risk of raising a red flag.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:28 pm

I'd keep the A- to not use up those valuable pass-fail credits that you'll need as a 3l but can't have too many of if you want coif. That's a solid A- in the bag.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HonestAdvice wrote:I think I'd keep it so as to not have a red flag, and as a check against regression to the mean, which is common.

That was sort of what I am leaning towards, the slightly better GPA isn't any risk of raising a red flag.

I didn't have those grades. It's more the fact that you'd be in good shape even if you had all A-'s. It's conceivable your options will be the same with a 3.9 as they'd be with a 3.7. If you're obsessive, which you probably are, maybe experiment with how much getting a B would screw you with the A- versus without it, etc. At most schools the 3.7 will be the cut off for the highest latin honors so any A- is valuable, because you're eating credits while staying above that 3.7 mark.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:46 pm

sflyr2016 wrote:I'd keep the A- to not use up those valuable pass-fail credits that you'll need as a 3l but can't have too many of if you want coif. That's a solid A- in the bag.

I hadn't really thought about the aspect of using up too many pass/fail credits. I couldn't find any limit at Penn, is it just an informal idea that you don't want too many?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:52 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I didn't have those grades. It's more the fact that you'd be in good shape even if you had all A-'s. It's conceivable your options will be the same with a 3.9 as they'd be with a 3.7. If you're obsessive, which you probably are, maybe experiment with how much getting a B would screw you with the A- versus without it, etc. At most schools the 3.7 will be the cut off for the highest latin honors so any A- is valuable, because you're eating credits while staying above that 3.7 mark.

That's a good point. My mindset has been really focused on just applying for clerkships and firms this summer basically. But I guess it is a good thing to have once I get more lazy later on.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 pm

I didn't go to penn. But to be eligible for order of the coif at my school, you couldn't take more than a certain amount of pass-fail credits. Find out what the policy is at penn. if there is a limit, then that's just more reason to keep the A-.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Postby sflyr2016 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I guess it is a good thing to have once I get more lazy later on.

Yes. And you will. Don't underestimate 3lol.

Also, you're in very good shape for a clerkship -- with or without the A-.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�