Grades for NY Court of Appeals?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Grades for NY Court of Appeals?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:25 pm

Title says it all. What GPA does one need to be competitive? T-14 non-HYS. And any other insight into the application process would be much appreciated...

Anonymous User

Re: Grades for NY Court of Appeals?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:20 am

Can anyone also speak to in addition to how competitive they are how valued they are by firms? Especially do appellate lit firms view it significantly? (no federal clerkships for this immigrant)

I feel like I'm pretty competitive with no W/E but 4.0 at P but unsure.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone also speak to in addition to how competitive they are how valued they are by firms? Especially do appellate lit firms view it significantly? (no federal clerkships for this immigrant)

I feel like I'm pretty competitive with no W/E but 4.0 at P but unsure.

Yeesh with those grades I'd hate to see you take a state clerkship unless it's DE and you want Corp work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:35 am

Yeah it's not high on my list. DE and Alaska/Hawaii federal are my main goals--just hadn't heard much about NY state court's reputation.

Clearly

Gold

Postby Clearly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah it's not high on my list. DE and Alaska/Hawaii federal are my main goals--just hadn't heard much about NY state court's reputation.

P places really well into DE courts.

New

Postby 78623089 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone also speak to in addition to how competitive they are how valued they are by firms? Especially do appellate lit firms view it significantly?

Curious about above as well. And how competitive is ~3.6 at MVPBDNC (from NY originally).

axel.foley

Bronze

Postby axel.foley » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 am

78623089 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone also speak to in addition to how competitive they are how valued they are by firms? Especially do appellate lit firms view it significantly?

Curious about above as well. And how competitive is ~3.6 at MVPBDNC (from NY originally).

Jesus dude just say the school. Obviously results will vary the further you go down that list, and Cornell for example is different from Northwestern b/c it's actually in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 am

Re value of state Supreme Court clerking:

Friend of mine at S&C/Cravath/DPW et al was in the same position and asked 8 partners what they thought about clerking at the SC in NY/NJ/CA et al. 4/8 told him not to bother, 4/8 told him it'll be worth it. I don't know if firms as an entity have an opinion one way or the other. It seems like each partner would have her own opinion.

I think it would be valuable for you as a lawyer, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Re value of state Supreme Court clerking:

Friend of mine at S&C/Cravath/DPW et al was in the same position and asked 8 partners what they thought about clerking at the SC in NY/NJ/CA et al. 4/8 told him not to bother, 4/8 told him it'll be worth it. I don't know if firms as an entity have an opinion one way or the other. It seems like each partner would have her own opinion.

I think it would be valuable for you as a lawyer, though.

That's sort of the sense I've got as well from people I've asked. I'm actually working at a state appellate court this summer and agree I can't imagine clerking in an environment like this wouldn't drastically improve my writing etc.

(foreign anon)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:06 pm

In my opinion it really seems to depend on the COA Judge and while GPA & School Prestige is considered, I feel like "fit" lands you the job. I've known 4 COA clerks and they were well, well outside the T-14. But, I think only one went to school outside the state. A couple had a low Fed (district or magistrate) clerkship the year prior to clerking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Former COA clerk and it depends. Law clerks are typically decently high grades at T14 or the top of local schools, although its been some time since I was clerking there and there has been a lot of judge turnover, plus some judges tend to keep 2 or 3 career clerks rather than term clerks. So the number of spots is very limited.

There are also clerks on "Central Staff" who are the equivalent of court attorneys in federal court and primarily handle the motions for leave to appeal, these clerks are usually from NY schools. There are about 15 or so of them.

In terms of whether it is valued by biglaw firms, IME yes, or at least the alums I know are at highly regarded firms.
It also makes you an extremely good writer and a sharp legal thinker. It's a significant workload, though.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�