Chance Me (Transfer Student)

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chance Me (Transfer Student)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:40 am

Just graduated from NYU/Columbia and looking to clerk during the 2017 or 2018 term either in CA (native) or NYC and the surrounding areas (i.e. Philly or NJ). Would love to clerk EDNY or in a CA court in a major city, but realize how competitive those positions can be. Not sure how helpful my ties to CA will be but I'm hoping to use the clerkship as a reset to go back to CA. Seeking input because my clerkship office has been less than helpful.

T1 (top 10 in class) --> NYU/Columbia (hovering around top 25%); will begin working at a V10 this fall.

Law review at my first school, executive board position on secondary journal at NYU/Columbia

Recs from a senior AUSA in EDNY, SDNY judge and clinic professor.

What are are my chances?

WheninLaw

Silver

Re: Chance Me (Transfer Student)

Postby WheninLaw » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just graduated from NYU/Columbia and looking to clerk during the 2017 or 2018 term either in CA (native) or NYC and the surrounding areas (i.e. Philly or NJ). Would love to clerk EDNY or in a CA court in a major city, but realize how competitive those positions can be. Not sure how helpful my ties to CA will be but I'm hoping to use the clerkship as a reset to go back to CA. Seeking input because my clerkship office has been less than helpful.

T1 (top 10 in class) --> NYU/Columbia (hovering around top 25%); will begin working at a V10 this fall.

Law review at my first school, executive board position on secondary journal at NYU/Columbia

Recs from a senior AUSA in EDNY, SDNY judge and clinic professor.

What are are my chances?

Below average, but get markedly better with some work experience. Great chances if you didn't limit yourself to such competitive districts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Bump to get some more opinions, especially anyone who had similar numbers or those who have evaluated clerkship apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:52 pm

I accepted a position for 2017 in one of the markets you mentioned. I'm higher than top 5% at one of the school's you mentioned. And my co-clerk is from a school lower down but is clerking on the circuit level after.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump to get some more opinions, especially anyone who had similar numbers or those who have evaluated clerkship apps.

I've evaluated clerkship apps, and I second WheninLaw's assessment. You're basically in the same position as a median CLS/NYU grad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump to get some more opinions, especially anyone who had similar numbers or those who have evaluated clerkship apps.

I've evaluated clerkship apps, and I second WheninLaw's assessment. You're basically in the same position as a median CLS/NYU grad.

OP Here. Wanted to clarify, I'm graduating top 25% from CLS/NYU but I'm still going to be considered the same as a native median CLS/NYU grad because I transferred?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

OP Here. Wanted to clarify, I'm graduating top 25% from CLS/NYU but I'm still going to be considered the same as a native median CLS/NYU grad because I transferred?

Pretty much, yeah. 2L/3L grades are less important than 1L grades. If you had absolutely killed it as a 2L/3L at CLS (like top 5%), that would make a big difference. But top 25% as a 2L/3L? That's not meaningfully different from median. Don't get me wrong--good grades are better than bad grades-- but you're the kind of applicant who is likely going to need work experience (plus a connected recommender) to get a clerkship in CD Cal or ND Cal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Pretty much, yeah. 2L/3L grades are less important than 1L grades. If you had absolutely killed it as a 2L/3L at CLS (like top 5%), that would make a big difference. But top 25% as a 2L/3L? That's not meaningfully different from median. Don't get me wrong--good grades are better than bad grades-- but you're the kind of applicant who is likely going to need work experience (plus a connected recommender) to get a clerkship in CD Cal or ND Cal.

OP here: OK thanks, good to know to set my expectations.

If my goal is to ultimately go back to CA, would any Art. III clerkship be helpful or should I be more selective and try avoid the courts in flyover states? Asking because I'm curious about how different clerkships are viewed from an employers perspective.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

OP here: OK thanks, good to know to set my expectations.

If my goal is to ultimately go back to CA, would any Art. III clerkship be helpful or should I be more selective and try avoid the courts in flyover states? Asking because I'm curious about how different clerkships are viewed from an employers perspective.

Yes, I think an Article III clerkship would make you a more attractive candidate. I wouldn't worry about "flyover states."

I mean, there is a regional effect with clerkships. All things being equal, it's better to clerk in the region you want to practice. But if that's not feasible (and it often isn't), you should clerk wherever you can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

A little late to the party, but for what it's worth, you're in good company. I did all three years at CCN and graduated slightly above median. My 1L grades were terrible (I got very sick), but 2L and 3L grades were top 20-25%. I have a year's work experience (I'm the class before you) and I'm also from have a close family friend who's a judge in one of those districts you listed. That still wasn't enough. His clerks outpace me in prestige; they're normally top candidates from HYS with a masters or PHD.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

A little late to the party, but for what it's worth, you're in good company. I did all three years at CCN and graduated slightly above median. My 1L grades were terrible (I got very sick), but 2L and 3L grades were top 20-25%. I have a year's work experience (I'm the class before you) and I'm also from have a close family friend who's a judge in one of those districts you listed. That still wasn't enough. His clerks outpace me in prestige; they're normally top candidates from HYS with a masters or PHD.

OP: Thanks for sharing. Are you still applying? If so, to which districts?

FWIW, I have a couple of friends clerking D. NJ in the next term or two and their credentials aren't close to what you mentioned (HYS with a masters/PHD).

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�