I'm an (amateur) author... How do I leverage this in journal and clerkship interviews?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

I'm an (amateur) author... How do I leverage this in journal and clerkship interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm no David Mccullough, but I wrote (in my gap year, before law school) a ~300 page nonfiction history book. It sold moderately well (though I'm sure none of you have heard of it) and I'd like to use it in interviews if at all possible. I've also been published a number of times (largely in undergrad, for scientific journals) and it seems my "publications" just get grouped into one, and ignored.

Any fellow authors here? Did you find this helped you secure a position for either a) journals or b) clerkships?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: I'm an (amateur) author... How do I leverage this in journal and clerkship interviews?

Postby kellyfrost » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Bump.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: I'm an (amateur) author... How do I leverage this in journal and clerkship interviews?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm no David Mccullough, but I wrote (in my gap year, before law school) a ~300 page nonfiction history book. It sold moderately well (though I'm sure none of you have heard of it) and I'd like to use it in interviews if at all possible. I've also been published a number of times (largely in undergrad, for scientific journals) and it seems my "publications" just get grouped into one, and ignored.

Any fellow authors here? Did you find this helped you secure a position for either a) journals or b) clerkships?

Your nonfiction history book won't help you get on a journal. As for judicial clerkships (or any other job), it's definitely an interesting item. If you're worried about your book getting lost amid all of the other publications on your resume, I suggest putting it under an "Interests" section. You could list "History" as an interest, followed by a reference to your published book.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm

If you have multiple publications, put them on a separate sheet and attach to your resume. The judges I interviewed with were big fans of the fact that I'd published a significant amount.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�