E.D. Cal

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

E.D. Cal

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 pm

What sort of qualifications are necessary to be competitive to clerk in this district? Are some judges known to be less selective?

Anonymous User

Re: E.D. Cal

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Maybe connections matter- I'm north of top 5% at CCN and I shot in a couple apps and got radio silence.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm

No idea, though I would flag that it has one of the heaviest dockets (on a per judge basis) in the country.

grapesnocone

New

Postby grapesnocone » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:16 pm

bk1 wrote:No idea, though I would flag that it has one of the heaviest dockets (on a per judge basis) in the country.

That's true - and the judges get extra law clerks for it under an emergency budget.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:19 pm

grapesnocone wrote:That's true - and the judges get extra law clerks for it under an emergency budget.

Was not aware of this, but it's good to hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:28 pm

I've had 2 EDCA interviews. Both judges seemed to care about connections to the area. Otherwise, what others have said is true -- it's one of the busiest districts in the country, and the judges are understaffed, so you have to be willing to work long hours. The district also deals with a lot of Section 1983 and mortgage issues, so any experience you have with those areas of the law that you can highlight in your cover letter are probably helpful.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�