Chance me (1.5 years out of law school)

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chance me (1.5 years out of law school)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 pm

2014 T-14 graduate with median grades, strong secondary journal, been working as a litigation associate at an AmLaw 200 firm in a major city since January 2015 (Jan. start date), minority, female. Looking for a district court clerkship in my home state in the southeast for fall 2017. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Chance me (1.5 years out of law school)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 7:12 pm

I clerked for a D. Ct. in the southeast. Honestly, your chances probably aren't very good. That said, apply and see what happens. Crazier things have happened.

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Tue May 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2014 T-14 graduate with median grades, strong secondary journal, been working as a litigation associate at an AmLaw 200 firm in a major city since January 2015 (Jan. start date), minority, female. Looking for a district court clerkship in my home state in the southeast for fall 2017. Thanks!

I'd say decent to good (50-75%?) shot to get at least one interview assuming your home state isn't super competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Work your connections. Mention your home-state status (and any other connections) in your cover letter. Maybe have your recommenders make some calls. I would guess that you've got a chance, but not a great one. Apart from your being a female minority, your application doesn't jump out of the pile. But judges are idiosyncratic and you can never tell what will catch their attention.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 am

Without knowing which t14, I think you would have a decent shot for 2018. Especially if your t14 is V or D, I found that SE judges love to hire t14 people with state or regional connections. So as the other anon said, work your connections and play up your ties to the South in cover letters/interviews.

The 11th ct d.ct judges tend to hire later than many other circuits but we're getting to the point where many have hired for 2017. You should apply soon, and if you are open to clerking in 2018 instead, you'd have a much better chance imo

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:55 am

You need someone to bring your application to the judge's attention. Did anyone at your firm clerk in the region in which you're interested? Do any of your recommenders know the area? Those should be the first people you track down to push your application along

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�