Bad interviews Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Bad interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Are there any signs either from the clerks or judge that are indicators of a bad interview?

ronanOgara

Gold

Re: Bad interviews

Post by ronanOgara » Tue May 24, 2016 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any signs either from the clerks or judge that are indicators of a bad interview?
...just tell us what happened

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Tue May 24, 2016 12:45 pm

You mean other than normal body language cues and attempts to change topic/fill space? They aren't going to say "that was a bad interview." You'll just get a rejection email/letter/call some time later. And that letter/call/email is a decent indicator of a bad interview.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 pm

ronanOgara wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any signs either from the clerks or judge that are indicators of a bad interview?
...just tell us what happened

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Well I had a judge tell me my writing sample had several typos so there's that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Tue May 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well I had a judge tell me my writing sample had several typos so there's that.
Are you OP? Did you send your writing sample in before or after you scheduled your interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 1:07 pm

wwwcol wrote:You mean other than normal body language cues and attempts to change topic/fill space? They aren't going to say "that was a bad interview." You'll just get a rejection email/letter/call some time later. And that letter/call/email is a decent indicator of a bad interview.
no wonder you only got 3Hs (even with the ever declining standards in admissions).

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue May 24, 2016 1:24 pm

It's hard to tell. Some judges are simply awkward to talk to, and so an awkward conversation might not be indicative of a bad interview -- it might be what everyone gets. Or you might be the only candidate and the judge decides not to pass you by simply because of an awkward conversation.

I did have one interview I considered bad, but I knew that because I had previously had three conversations with that same judge (prior to applying) which were pleasant and easygoing. My interview was nothing like that.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 24, 2016 1:29 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
If they left you with the impression that you should ask anonymous strangers on the internet if you had a bad interview, then that's a pretty good sign that you had a bad interview.
I almost wrote this but wasn't feeling sufficiently mean. OP: Can you really not understand why your question is impossible to answer in the abstract?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Well, sure, there's a million things that could have occurred/happened and some signs are always going to be specific to a judge. I was just asking about certain little hints that are more indicative of a negative interview. Ex. Should a judge have asked you to let him know if anyone else offers in the meantime.

What I was looking for were understood hints that an interviewee should have recognized to have been indicative of a less than stellar interview. It wasn't because the interview went clearly badly or seemed anything out of the ordinary. I was just trying to best gauge my experience based on small things like that that other people had experienced or recognized. Smh. Was that really that complicated? Granted that it's again going to be a long list and each judge/clerk has their own unique tells but there must be a few things that are common to most of them.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue May 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote: but there must be a few things that are common to most of them.

I don't think so.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What I was looking for were understood hints that an interviewee should have recognized to have been indicative of a less than stellar interview. It wasn't because the interview went clearly badly or seemed anything out of the ordinary. I was just trying to best gauge my experience based on small things like that that other people had experienced or recognized. Smh. Was that really that complicated?
No, not complicated--just reflective of a lack of basic common sense. But keep shaking your head.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:04 pm

My OCS said right leg crossed over left means you're good, left over right means you're toast, and Sharon Stoning from right on top to left on top means there's a chance but you've got to... "hustle".

lats19nys

New

Post by lats19nys » Tue May 24, 2016 5:34 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What I was looking for were understood hints that an interviewee should have recognized to have been indicative of a less than stellar interview. It wasn't because the interview went clearly badly or seemed anything out of the ordinary. I was just trying to best gauge my experience based on small things like that that other people had experienced or recognized. Smh. Was that really that complicated?
No, not complicated--just reflective of a lack of basic common sense. But keep shaking your head.
Yep, there's a reason why you're not the one with the feeder interview. But keep trolling online if it makes you feel better.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Yep, there's a reason why you're not the one with the feeder interview. But keep trolling online if it makes you feel better.
Damn, I just got owned by a super-prestigious anon.

Pro-tip: the responses you're getting ITT are "hints" that you're a douche. I know you have problems picking up on basic social cues so I thought I'd help clarify things for you. Good luck with hearing back from your "feeder" judge.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I'm always amused by folks who tout their accomplishments over others without knowing what the other person's resume is like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Tue May 24, 2016 5:51 pm

I love OPs who ask stupid questions and get defensive when they're called out. Add in blatant anon abuse and you've got a great thread.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
:lol: :lol: I love TLS sometimes

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Tue May 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 24, 2016 6:07 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
emkay625 wrote: I'm always amused by folks who tout their accomplishments over others without knowing what the other person's resume is like.
I'm amused that getting a probably unsuccessful interview with a feeder judge is now an accomplishment. What resume section does that go under?
Haha agreed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
emkay625 wrote: I'm always amused by folks who tout their accomplishments over others without knowing what the other person's resume is like.
I'm amused that getting a probably unsuccessful interview with a feeder judge is now an accomplishment. What resume section does that go under?
I think it falls under "Interests."

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue May 24, 2016 10:49 pm

lats19nys wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Jesus christ, dude.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”