Removed

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kellyfrost

Platinum

Has anyone, or know anyone who has, clerked for Posner?

Postby kellyfrost » Sat May 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Anyone out there ever clerk for Posner? What was it like? What's he like? Do you know anyone who has clerked for him?

I'm just wondering out of curiosity. Manly because I read he writes all or his own opinions. So I'm just wondering how his clerks fit into that and what they do for him. Not to mention, working alongside one of the most brilliant legal minds to ever exist and one of the best writers of all time would also be quite the job.

Posner!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Has anyone, or know anyone who has, clerked for Posner?

Postby lavarman84 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:49 pm

This is from an ATL article:
http://abovethelaw.com/2014/05/thoughts ... ak-grades/
For one year, Mr. Wu worked for Richard A. Posner, a federal appellate court judge, influential University of Chicago law professor, prolific author and blogger. “Richard Posner is a kind of law demigod,” Mr. Wu said. “He didn’t really need a clerk. He wrote everything on his own. But he wanted someone to be his critic — to match wits with him intellectually, to fight with him and tell him why he was wrong.”

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2016 1:55 am

He's a really lovely boss. Some applicants seem to have this image of him as a really stern taskmaster, and that wasn't my friends' experience at all. Hardworking, but totally great guy.

My sense was that there was a lot of debate and discussion. Also, he does his own drafts, but I think he still wants someone to edit/critique/revise them. Not 100% sure what that process looks like, but that's the sense I got.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2016 10:58 am

I've been told Posner will determine what he wants to do in a case (e.g., find the statute to be unambiguous, apply it in X way, and affirm the district court), and then ask his clerks to research whether anything prevents him from doing that.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Sat May 28, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks for the replies. They have all been interesting and informative.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Postby minnbills » Tue May 31, 2016 10:10 pm

My colleague worked for him (she was a staff attorney at the 7th circuit). She said he was a wonderful guy and she really enjoyed her projects with him.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships?