How much of a bump does district clerkship provide?

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How much of a bump does district clerkship provide?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Just curious, but how much of a bump for circuit clerkship chances does a district clerkship provide? This is obviously geared towards the judges that prefer or require d.ct experience.
I'm a current district clerk;I likely got a bit lucky to land the gig. I started at a ttt school where I ranked in the top 6%. But I graduated from UT with honors, near the top 10% of the class.
If, for example, my judge would like a letter of rec, would it be worth applying? Or would my resume be ridiculed and mocked? Would the calculation change after a few years of actual lit experience?
Thanks in advance.

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Re: How much of a bump does district clerkship provide?

Postby stretchedtoothin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:51 pm

if i, as an anonymous internet stranger, told you that your application--even with letters of recs from your judge--would be ridiculed in CoA judges' chambers, would that dissuade you from applying?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:09 pm

A district court clerkship provides a 15% bump. Add 2% for each year of actual lit experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:37 pm

I clerked for a circuit judge. In our chambers, the bump was substantial: a prior district court clerkship basically always meant that we gave your application a close look. You'd still need to have the rest of the package (grades, writing sample, etc.) to get an interview, but we'd probably give you more slack on those other factors. And a prior district clerkship was often a tiebreaker between two otherwise-qualified candidates.

Does your judge have a close relationship with any circuit judges? My judge was particularly close to a few district judges, and when one of them recommended one of her clerks to us, that applicant was basically a lock.

AFS

New

Postby AFS » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:15 pm

You went to UT. There's a pretty good clerkship office there. You should be asking them.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Reach out to Professor Albright at UT. She'll help.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�