. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Edit: Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Should I cancel/postpone this interview

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Option A. You'd be surprised at how random getting clerkship offer(s) actually goes.

Cart before horse, imo.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:56 pm

what gives you the impression that you are the only candidate for a federal clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
El Pollito wrote:what gives you the impression that you are the only candidate for a federal clerkship?
Posting is not listed anywhere / things said by judge in setting up this interview. Could be wrong, but I don't think it's that unusual for some judges to extend only one interview invite at a time rather than interviewing a bunch of people and then deciding between them. Not saying I might be the only candidate; just the only one being interviewed at this time.
Anonymous User wrote:Option A. You'd be surprised at how random getting clerkship offer(s) actually goes.

Cart before horse, imo.
Thanks for the advice.

So do you think the clerkship is worth doing even if it's a 2 year district clerkship not in a place I'd want to work long term? I realize this is probably more of a personal decision, but I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the value of it vs. sticking it out in the litigation dept. of the firm in my home market and trying to either get a better clerkship later or exit into something without clerking.
It is going to be a completely personal thing. But 2 years in somewhere you don't really want to be longterm doesn't sounds great, although I am sure it would still be a good experience. If you have gotten 3 clerkship interviews already, you are qualified. A couple of years in a firm will only improve your resume for most judges.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:46 am

I really think your best options are: (1) cancel the interview; (2) be totally forthcoming with the judge about the fact that you have interviews for an earlier term and would prefer that term. I would lean toward the latter.

I'm not suggesting you tell the judge that you're having doubts about the other aspects of clerking for him/her (location or the fact that it's a two-year position), but I think it'd be reasonable to explain that you are excited to clerk and that for personal and professional reasons you'd prefer to do it in the earlier term. Then just ask, in light of that fact, whether he or she would prefer that you withdraw yourself from consideration from his position or if he'd be okay with your interviewing anyway. Judges are human beings, too; as long as you give an honest, reasonable explanation and leave the decision up to him, he's very unlikely to hold it against you. If he's truly interviewing one person at a time, he might not be in a rush to fill the position. There's a non-zero chance that he'll interview you, offer you a position, and allow you to call the other judges to ask where you stand before you respond to his offer. There's also a chance he'll say he's not interested in you anymore, but that just leaves you in the same position you would have been if you'd canceled the interview.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:52 pm

newbienew wrote:I really think your best options are: (1) cancel the interview; (2) be totally forthcoming with the judge about the fact that you have interviews for an earlier term and would prefer that term. I would lean toward the latter.

I'm not suggesting you tell the judge that you're having doubts about the other aspects of clerking for him/her (location or the fact that it's a two-year position), but I think it'd be reasonable to explain that you are excited to clerk and that for personal and professional reasons you'd prefer to do it in the earlier term. Then just ask, in light of that fact, whether he or she would prefer that you withdraw yourself from consideration from his position or if he'd be okay with your interviewing anyway. Judges are human beings, too; as long as you give an honest, reasonable explanation and leave the decision up to him, he's very unlikely to hold it against you. If he's truly interviewing one person at a time, he might not be in a rush to fill the position. There's a non-zero chance that he'll interview you, offer you a position, and allow you to call the other judges to ask where you stand before you respond to his offer. There's also a chance he'll say he's not interested in you anymore, but that just leaves you in the same position you would have been if you'd canceled the interview.

Good luck.
Great advice, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”