clerking for a magistrate judge? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
barprepblues

New

clerking for a magistrate judge?

Post by barprepblues » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:27 pm

I'm considering clerking after a year or two of work. Should I clerk for a magistrate judge if I'm already in biglaw? Would firms see it as a positive thing in the future?

Background: I'm at a V30 firm in DC, and I'm really hesitant to give up the job to go clerking, but I will if my firm would appreciate the experience.

Anonymous User

Re: clerking for a magistrate judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm a DJ clerk. Of the dozen or so MJ/DJ clerks from my court I know personally that have left, it's pretty apparent that MJ clerks do not get anywhere near the same boost in hiring as do DJ clerks. Most firms do not give clerking bonuses or class credit for MJ clerks. Firms are not as interested in MJ clerks as DJ clerks. (I don't know if this applies to you but some COA judges only hire DJ clerks, not MJ clerks.) DJ clerks from my district seem to have been able to get jobs very quickly and easily, but not the MJ clerks.

That said, I wouldn't rule out an MJ clerkship. Some MJs are very well known and respected (Judge Grewal comes to mind). In some districts, the MJs play a much big role than in others and get a large portion of consent cases. I think the MJ clerks in my court get a better overall understanding of litigation, how federal cases proceed, etc. I know what happens at the pleadings stage and MSJ/trial, but I have no idea what goes on in between that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Will your firm take you back after you clerk?

If this is a non-big-city MJ clerkship, I'm inclined to say don't clerk.

If it's a big-city MJ clerkship (CDCA, SDNY, etc.), I'm inclined to say yes if you think your firm will take you back.

That's based on my experience clerking along with MJs and DJ clerks.

Can't you still continue to apply and see if you can get a DJ or COA clerkship?

(Oh, and my assessment is not at all meant to imply that MJ clerks don't have an as tough or fulfilling job as DJ clerks. I know for a fact that MJ clerks work just as hard and are just as smart and capable. My recommendation is based purely on post-clerkship job outcomes.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:04 pm

I'm clerking in a district between DC and Boston (not NYC). Every MJ clerk I've known has landed a good job. Not sure whether they get bonuses, tho

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”