Applying as a 3L Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying as a 3L

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:12 pm

This may have been answered. If so, please direct me to the relevant post(s).

I'm a 3L, T14. Have a job lined up at a midsize firm that pays under market. Not super happy with it, but it's a job.

I'm externing right now with an Article III judge who has offered to write a recommendation for a clerkship. Question is, if I land a clerkship that would start a year or so after graduation (i.e., not the typical 2L track), does that give me the same kind of marketability as a clerkship that starts immediately after graduation? I'm looking for a great experience clerking, but am also hoping that it serves as a springboard for a more desirable job.

Anonymous User

Re: Applying as a 3L

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:This may have been answered. If so, please direct me to the relevant post(s).

I'm a 3L, T14. Have a job lined up at a midsize firm that pays under market. Not super happy with it, but it's a job.

I'm externing right now with an Article III judge who has offered to write a recommendation for a clerkship. Question is, if I land a clerkship that would start a year or so after graduation (i.e., not the typical 2L track), does that give me the same kind of marketability as a clerkship that starts immediately after graduation? I'm looking for a great experience clerking, but am also hoping that it serves as a springboard for a more desirable job.
Recent grad here, with clerkship lined up 2 years after starting at big law. At the district court level, more and more judges prefer to hire clerks with a few years of legal practice, so it's likely to become more and more of a trend in the industry. And from what I understand, you don't lose in marketability by clerking a little later. You can jump to another firm after the clerkship or return to your firm and negotiate a bonus/salary bump. Clerkship stays with you on your CV for your career, so never a bad thing.

Also, protip on your AIII LOR: I also had a judge from an externship write a letter for me, and chambers took forever to upload letters to OSCAR—which really set me back in the super competitive hiring process. Not only that, but be sure your judge is not offering to write a letter as a courtesy. That may result in a half-baked, lukewarm letter that other judges will see right through. Better ask profs or other legal employers, IMO, and list your judge as a phone/email reference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 pm

OP here, thanks the reply. Sounds like my judge would be writing as a courtesy, but said judge is well known. Would that make a difference, even if the letter was somewhat half-baked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks the reply. Sounds like my judge would be writing as a courtesy, but said judge is well known. Would that make a difference, even if the letter was somewhat half-baked?
Same recent grad here. Well, my judge was well known and well regarded too... It's not the only thing that changed (grades went up some) but once I stopped using this judge's LOR, I got several interview invitations. And, in case you were wondering, I did a fine job in my externship; so no major missteps are to blame for a possibly lukewarm letter. I never saw the judge's letter, so I don't know for sure what happened. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”