Post-Clerkship Job Hunting (fall 2016 hiring cycle) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Post-Clerkship Job Hunting (fall 2016 hiring cycle)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a complete newbie question, but have you all been mass mailing or waiting on openings to be posted on websites/passed on through the grape vine. I only ask, because my clerkship concludes in January and I'm not really sure what strategy to go with. I clerked after practicing big law in a city where I am currently clerking. At first, I really did not want to, but all of the partners kept telling me I would be crazy not to jump at this opportunity and that I would just come back in January. Well, it turns out my old firm has not had much work at all and they said they could fight to bring me back, but that it might be worth it to interview around a bit. I have tried doing this, but there are pretty much zero openings in my city or I have been told it's way too early to apply. I would look elsewhere, but my husband is an attorney here in town and moving really isn't an option.

All in all, I'm thinking this was a huge mistake and everything I feared would happen if I took this gig, has pretty much happened. I know, cool story. But, seriously, how does this hiring thing work? Just random bombing of the inboxes? Networking? Internet postings? Any and all help is appreciated, as I never really did anything beyond OCI and am a special snowflake K-JD, who never really applied for jobs (including this clerkship) outside of OCI.
How often does situation like this happen, especially in big NY firms for example?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I finally landed a post-clerkship job. And it's at a good firm. I'm still getting rejections. I feel the urge to respond by thanking them and informing them that it's cool because I have landed a job at an objectively better firm. Bad idea or the worst idea?
I think either one of those options sums up that idea. Rejections aren't personal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is a complete newbie question, but have you all been mass mailing or waiting on openings to be posted on websites/passed on through the grape vine. I only ask, because my clerkship concludes in January and I'm not really sure what strategy to go with. I clerked after practicing big law in a city where I am currently clerking. At first, I really did not want to, but all of the partners kept telling me I would be crazy not to jump at this opportunity and that I would just come back in January. Well, it turns out my old firm has not had much work at all and they said they could fight to bring me back, but that it might be worth it to interview around a bit. I have tried doing this, but there are pretty much zero openings in my city or I have been told it's way too early to apply. I would look elsewhere, but my husband is an attorney here in town and moving really isn't an option.

All in all, I'm thinking this was a huge mistake and everything I feared would happen if I took this gig, has pretty much happened. I know, cool story. But, seriously, how does this hiring thing work? Just random bombing of the inboxes? Networking? Internet postings? Any and all help is appreciated, as I never really did anything beyond OCI and am a special snowflake K-JD, who never really applied for jobs (including this clerkship) outside of OCI.
How often does situation like this happen, especially in big NY firms for example?
I'm the individual who posted that cool story. No clue about big NY firms. My geographic location is a ton smaller. If this were NYC, I honestly wouldn't worry about the old firm pulling out. It's such a big market, that there would be openings.

TBH, if I was single, I would probably apply to NYC firms as a safety net. Given that I am tied to the area because of my soon-to-be husband, my current, smaller market is where it's at for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shaopeng9

New

Post by shaopeng9 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:50 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm the job switch whiner two posts above. Honestly, if you're in smaller markets (maybe even if you aren't), job listings are a flame. I employed the approach of emailing people directly (not the recruiter...even if it says to do that) with my resume and a statement about looking for a job and wanting to discuss job opportunities at firm x and trends this person has seen in the Oz market. It has been effective. One person ignored it; some interviewed me, despite not having openings at the moment because they "want to stay on my radar and vice versa" while they look into whether they can take another associate; and a couple brought me in for interviews. I currently have two offers at places I would love to work. I will say, lateral/post-clerkship hiring is weird and it seems like when you don't follow the rules (or at least when I didn't), you get better results. YMMV, but I thought I would update. V excited to start new gig in January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:49 am

Wishing it were possible to switch jobs with one of you guys. I'm at a large firm hoping to get a clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Anyone have insight or experience in the D.C. post-clerkship market for a future D.C. Circuit clerk?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wishing it were possible to switch jobs with one of you guys. I'm at a large firm hoping to get a clerkship.
how about we compromise, you do my clerk work, and I'll take your pay. It's the experience that you want right? :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wishing it were possible to switch jobs with one of you guys. I'm at a large firm hoping to get a clerkship.
how about we compromise, you do my clerk work, and I'll take your pay. It's the experience that you want right? :wink:
The pay comes with 9:30-2 AM hours, sometimes 4 AM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have to go back at 9:30 after being there at 4am? I'm asking for real in all seriousness.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: The pay comes with 9:30-2 AM hours, sometimes 4 AM.

Do you have to go back at 9:30 after being there at 4am? I'm asking for real in all seriousness.
Also curious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. You stay until 4 AM because you have a filing due the next day for one of your cases; you come back at 9:30 the next day because you have more than one case on hand.

I have a friend who's been holed up in his firm for 3 days. Someone else has been walking his dog.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes. You stay until 4 AM because you have a filing due the next day for one of your cases; you come back at 9:30 the next day because you have more than one case on hand.

I have a friend who's been holed up in his firm for 3 days. Someone else has been walking his dog.
Aw, I feel like he probably shouldn't have a dog if he is working 9:30 - 2 am, regularly.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Aw, I feel like he probably shouldn't have a dog if he is working 9:30 - 2 am, regularly.
Not very helpful for someone who already had a dog before starting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Aw, I feel like he probably shouldn't have a dog if he is working 9:30 - 2 am, regularly.
Not very helpful for someone who already had a dog before starting.
Agreed, not to mention some people have wives or husbands.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”