If you narrowly missed a SCOTUS clerkship... Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

If you narrowly missed a SCOTUS clerkship...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm

(* advanced apologies for the privileged nature of this question! *)

Does anyone who narrowly missed a SCOTUS clerkship--either interviewed for a position or clerked for feeders or had a great shot otherwise--have any reflections on what they wish they did differently that would've landed them the gig-- either forged closer relationships with professors while in school, worked harder for their judge, tried to publish something while clerking, called in more favors, prepared more for a SCOTUS interview (if you got one!), etc...

Anonymous User

Re: If you narrowly missed a SCOTUS clerkship...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(* advanced apologies for the privileged nature of this question! *)

Does anyone who narrowly missed a SCOTUS clerkship--either interviewed for a position or clerked for feeders or had a great shot otherwise--have any reflections on what they wish they did differently that would've landed them the gig-- either forged closer relationships with professors while in school, worked harder for their judge, tried to publish something while clerking, called in more favors, prepared more for a SCOTUS interview (if you got one!), etc...
Got one interview but no offer. My writing sample was probably the biggest weakness in my application. I hated my LR note so used part of a bench memo, but bench memos (at least mine) weren't quite at the level of polish that I think the justices expect to see.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:28 pm

can anyone shed light on responses received from the various justices after you submit apps? for example, i almost immediately got back a few "thanks, we'll put you in the pile and contact you if interested" letters. that was months ago. ive not gotten anything from the vast majority. do they just vary in sending those generic confirmation letters?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Question here of general curiosity even though I am not a SCOTUS clerk applicant.

What all does the SCOTUS interview entail? How do you prepare for it? Does the justice interview you one on one? What kind of questions are typically asked?

Are there other threads on this forum where I can find the information?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:36 pm

I recently read this on SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2760442, which discussed Scalia's interview. I know it's no longer relevant but it sheds some light into the interview and preparation in the beginning of the paper. Overall, a great worthwhile read.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can anyone shed light on responses received from the various justices after you submit apps? for example, i almost immediately got back a few "thanks, we'll put you in the pile and contact you if interested" letters. that was months ago. ive not gotten anything from the vast majority. do they just vary in sending those generic confirmation letters?
Same.

Does anyone know how much advance notice the Justices typically give for interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can anyone shed light on responses received from the various justices after you submit apps? for example, i almost immediately got back a few "thanks, we'll put you in the pile and contact you if interested" letters. that was months ago. ive not gotten anything from the vast majority. do they just vary in sending those generic confirmation letters?
Same.

Does anyone know how much advance notice the Justices typically give for interviews?
Can be as little as a few days or as much as a few weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Yep. Don't read anything into the letter or lack thereof. They are just sent as a courtesy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Jchance wrote:I recently read this on SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2760442, which discussed Scalia's interview. I know it's no longer relevant but it sheds some light into the interview and preparation in the beginning of the paper. Overall, a great worthwhile read.
Wow, that was an awesome read.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”