How are alumni clerks counted in school clerkship figures?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ndirish2010

How are alumni clerks counted in school clerkship figures?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:45 pm

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but when someone clerks as an alumnus, say 3 years out, does this clerkship ever make it onto their school's placement data? I only thought of this because I was looking at 2013 numbers and realized that a few people from my class are clerking for the first time this term, so would never be included in those numbers.

Jchance

Re: How are alumni clerks counted in school clerkship figures?

Postby Jchance » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:49 pm

I think the cut-off for counting is 9-month following graduation date.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Ah, okay, so basically alumni clerks never get counted. I could see the problem with double counting, but it also shows that clerkship numbers provided by schools are at least somewhat under-representing how many people actually clerk.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:53 am

The Columbia clerkship office tries to collect data on students who clerk 1-3 years out. The numbers are quite interesting (far more alumni clerks than immediate ones, which makes sense given the increasing emphasis on work experience). I think Harvard does the same. For example, there's a number floating out there that over 500 HLS students clerked in a federal chambers (incl magistrates) over the past three years; that includes alumni and it's basically double their recorded 9mo clerkship rate. This data isn't publicly available, though, and it's one of the flaws in reading too much into ABA/LST year on year numbers.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:The Columbia clerkship office tries to collect data on students who clerk 1-3 years out. The numbers are quite interesting (far more alumni clerks than immediate ones, which makes sense given the increasing emphasis on work experience). I think Harvard does the same. For example, there's a number floating out there that over 500 HLS students clerked in a federal chambers (incl magistrates) over the past three years; that includes alumni and it's basically double their recorded 9mo clerkship rate. This data isn't publicly available, though, and it's one of the flaws in reading too much into ABA/LST year on year numbers.

Oh that's really interesting. I figured the numbers would be higher but that is a ton for HLS. I guess it makes since they don't make it on the same employment report as everyone else, since that would be a lot of double counting, but it would be great if there were more available stats on this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:The Columbia clerkship office tries to collect data on students who clerk 1-3 years out. The numbers are quite interesting (far more alumni clerks than immediate ones, which makes sense given the increasing emphasis on work experience). I think Harvard does the same. For example, there's a number floating out there that over 500 HLS students clerked in a federal chambers (incl magistrates) over the past three years; that includes alumni and it's basically double their recorded 9mo clerkship rate. This data isn't publicly available, though, and it's one of the flaws in reading too much into ABA/LST year on year numbers.

Interesting that there are far more alumni clerks than immediate in Columbia's dataset. For Harvard, the split is close to 50/50 in recent years.

To the point about counting alumni, if you take the HLS C/O 2013 for example, about 100 reported 2013 clerkships, which were included in the ABA data. The ABA/LST number is 17.8%. But about 50 also had 2014 clerkships. It looks like about 3/4 were double clerks, so add another 15 there. About 30 of the C/O 2013 also reported 2015 clerkships, and it looks like about 1/4 of the 2015 cohort were counted in the ABA/LST number. So add about 20 there. When you crunch the numbers, 17.8% of the C/O 2013 clerked in 2013, about 20% of the C/O 2013 clerked in either '13 or '14, and about 24% of the class clerked sometime between '13-'15. Some of the C/O 2013 have clerkships for 2016 or later, but the numbers tail off significantly after 3 years out.

So if you crunch the numbers for this one [unrepresentative] cohort, then the ABA survey undercounted the number of fed. clerks by about one-third (24-17.8/17.8).

LST's scoring is even more problematic because it excludes SSC clerks (which I think most of us would agree are highly desirable jobs). Once you add those, the number of preftigious clerkships for this one class is about 27%. So the LST percentage is off by about 50%.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”