Circuit Court Clerkship for AUSA

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Circuit Court Clerkship for AUSA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 am

End goal is likely AUSA criminal, preferably in large market. Right now in biglaw doing white collar work, clerking on D.Ct next year. Have interview opportunities on the circuit level for 2017. However, they are mostly in somewhat random markets (think Kansas City/Memphis/Nashville) with judges who have little connection to DOJ. Wondering if it is worth it for the "prestige" or whatever--basically, will this be a bump that is worth it for me to get to AUSA, or, if that isn't working out, back to biglaw?

rpupkin

Re: Circuit Court Clerkship for AUSA

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:End goal is likely AUSA criminal, preferably in large market. Right now in biglaw doing white collar work, clerking on D.Ct next year. Have interview opportunities on the circuit level for 2017. However, they are mostly in somewhat random markets (think Kansas City/Memphis/Nashville) with judges who have little connection to DOJ. Wondering if it is worth it for the "prestige" or whatever--basically, will this be a bump that is worth it for me to get to AUSA, or, if that isn't working out, back to biglaw?

I hope some AUSAs weigh in, but my understanding is that actual white collar litigation experience would be more valuable than the COA clerkships you're considering.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:11 pm

I think that to the extent a COA clerkship helps you, it won't matter much where it is. That is, a clerkship in the same circuit as the USAO will help a little more, because knowing how that circuit works could arguably be practical info, but generally a COA clerkship is a COA clerkship - doing a random/flyover won't hurt you. IMHO TLS's parsing of the prestige of clerkships is a little overblown.

That said, there may be some people who will be concerned that someone who does a COA clerkship is too wedded to appellate and won't want to do the work in the trenches of a line attorney. But I do know former COA clerks who are AUSAs, though I would say I know more DCt clerks. (Of course, you'd have both.)

In the end I think it's kind of up to you whether you do it or not. I think that if you want to do a COA, you can spin it in the context of your whole application as a positive. It probably wouldn't be strictly necessary for a USAO, which tend to look at your experience as a whole and want to see litigation experience/interest, and will like your DCt clerkship and white-collar experience (especially if you can get into court). I say probably because you might find an office very hipped on traditional prestige who will care - it depends a lot on who's at the top in a given office.

My sense is that it would actually be a bigger selling point for getting back into biglaw, but I have to defer to others on that.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

PM me.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”