CAAF clerkship value? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

CAAF clerkship value?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

I am entering the JAG Corps after graduation. I have the opportunity to clerk before I start my active duty service. My goal is to get a clerkship on my resume that will help me transition into USAO/DOJ/federal public defender.

The Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF) is an article I court with a mostly criminal docket. It deals with military law, mostly UCMJ. Judges are appointed by the president for fixed terms and their decisions are subject to direct SCOTUS review.

If I clerk for them, how will that look on a resume to USAO/DOJ/public defenders? I'm trying to get a district/COA clerkship, but I've been striking out, and the 2016-2017 field is getting slim.

Anonymous User

Re: CAAF clerkship value?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Can't directly answer your question, but I know a couple of folks who parlayed CAAF clerkships into clerkships on the D.C. Circuit and District of D.C. and didn't attend T14 schools. That might suggest nothing more than that a couple of judges on the D.C. Cir. and D.D.C. hold CAAF clerkships in some esteem, but my impression is that they're competitive clerkships and a credential that can serve as a springboard to bigger things.

(Edit) If you have any alums from your school who clerked there, you could probably get a better answer by reaching out to them.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”