Chances at D. Ct?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chances at D. Ct?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:08 pm

T6, median-ish, URM, 3 solid academic recs (1 from a sitting Federal Judge). I'm focusing on SDNY, EDVA, D.D.C., D.MD, D. CT, and all of TX, IL, & OH. 2016 preferred, but 2017 would work equally well. I'd do 2018 for D.D.C. or EDVA.

runinthefront

Re: Chances at D. Ct?

Postby runinthefront » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Isn't that a little restrictive considering median grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 pm

runinthefront wrote:Isn't that a little restrictive considering median grades?

Yeah. I'm taking a bit of an aggressive tack on this, but I'm not dead set on a clerkship, so if I go for one, I want it to be one I really want. Hopefully my recs can carry me quite a bit further than my grades. I just want to know how little of a chance I have, haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Virtually no chance at SDNY, DDC, NDIL, EDVA. Not as sure about the rest, but I imagine they might be a bit of a longshot. Is there some reason that you're unwilling to consider EDNY (although I think that would be out too) and DNJ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Virtually no chance at SDNY, DDC, NDIL, EDVA. Not as sure about the rest, but I imagine they might be a bit of a longshot. Is there some reason that you're unwilling to consider EDNY (although I think that would be out too) and DNJ?

Agreed with this. D. Md. and D. Conn. probably out too since they are pretty competitive (nice places to live, east coast, reasonable distance to big cities). Since you are at T6, have you checked with your CSO or clerkship advisor? They should have data on where people with your numbers got clerkships. Beyond all that, seems like your best shot might be if one of your recommenders made a phone call for you.

Also agree with above poster about EDNY and DNJ, though those are very competitive too. Since you seem open to all of Illinois, what about throwing a few apps at Indiana, Wisconsin, and Missouri? I know people who live in Chicago and reverse commute into the N.D. Ind. Same idea for KY if you are okay with all of Ohio.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Virtually no chance at SDNY, DDC, NDIL, EDVA. Not as sure about the rest, but I imagine they might be a bit of a longshot. Is there some reason that you're unwilling to consider EDNY (although I think that would be out too) and DNJ?

Agreed with this. D. Md. and D. Conn. probably out too since they are pretty competitive (nice places to live, east coast, reasonable distance to big cities). Since you are at T6, have you checked with your CSO or clerkship advisor? They should have data on where people with your numbers got clerkships. Beyond all that, seems like your best shot might be if one of your recommenders made a phone call for you.

Also agree with above poster about EDNY and DNJ, though those are very competitive too. Since you seem open to all of Illinois, what about throwing a few apps at Indiana, Wisconsin, and Missouri? I know people who live in Chicago and reverse commute into the N.D. Ind. Same idea for KY if you are okay with all of Ohio.

Yeah dude I'm not gonna say snowball's chance in hell, but you're an almost laughably bad longshot in the hardcore districts, and almost equally a longshot elsewhere given the restrictive scope of the rest of your apps.

Check with your CSO and see if you've got some weird little idiosyncratic districts that love your school. At Michigan, por ejemplo, there's this weird connection to District of Nevada. I went for my home market with my d.ct gig, but I still kick myself sometimes about passing up a year working a chill job in Vegas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:18 am

My judge looks at recs from federal judges and wonders why that judge didn't hire the applicant. I am not sure that particular recommendation is as strong as you think. Also - if you're only going to apply to those districts, try to find out which judges have traditionally looked for diversity in their candidates. One judge that comes to mind is Jackson from EDVA. GL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My judge looks at recs from federal judges and wonders why that judge didn't hire the applicant. I am not sure that particular recommendation is as strong as you think. Also - if you're only going to apply to those districts, try to find out which judges have traditionally looked for diversity in their candidates. One judge that comes to mind is Jackson from EDVA. GL

The judge in question is a Circuit judge and I'm only interested in District courts. Would that change the thinking of a judge like yours?

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My judge looks at recs from federal judges and wonders why that judge didn't hire the applicant. I am not sure that particular recommendation is as strong as you think. Also - if you're only going to apply to those districts, try to find out which judges have traditionally looked for diversity in their candidates. One judge that comes to mind is Jackson from EDVA. GL

The judge in question is a Circuit judge and I'm only interested in District courts. Would that change the thinking of a judge like yours?

Yes that'd be a great rec for a lot of judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:33 am

These grades certainly aren't a requirement for D.Conn. but do know of several recent D.Conn. clerks who graduated top 10% at H. Obviously, still less competitive in general than SDNY/EDNY though

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”