deleted

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kaiser

Gold

Re: Judges of color and cover letters

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:55 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:For what it's worth, white male judges almost universally do not hire people based on race, because we are already quite well represented. If someone explicitly did that, I would certainly thing it was more weird than if a black judge did it. Black judges have every reason to want to promote the success of bright black law students by hiring them as clerks, and I see nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this. A white male judge who makes an active attempt to hire other white males could not possibly have a benevolent and justifiable reason for doing so. Whereas a black judge could possibly be trying to provide opportunity to people in certain disadvantaged communities (often black) who may not have otherwise had access to such opportunities. Or perhaps the judge is worried that the black applicant, by virtue of his race, is more likely to "fall through the cracks" at future hiring stages, so he lends him a bit of a preference now to give him the boost.

Of course, that isn't to say that a black judge couldn't perhaps be of the mindset of "I just per se like to hire those of my own kind". But there are a multitude of justifications a black judge could have for making an attempt to hire some black clerks if possible.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Postby grand inquisitor » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:57 pm

full speed ahead, benevolent racism

Holly Golightly

Gold

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Racism against whites is not a thing in the U.S.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:00 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:full speed ahead, benevolent racism

Because otherwise clerkship hiring generally is exceptionally objective.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:00 pm

I think I started an AA debate. Preparing go-bag.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Postby grand inquisitor » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grand inquisitor wrote:full speed ahead, benevolent racism

Because otherwise clerkship hiring generally is exceptionally objective.

good reasoning. it's subjective anyways, might as well be full-on racist. you'd make a great sentencing judge.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:10 pm

If it's racist, then so are BLSA/LALSA/APALSA etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I think I started an AA debate. Preparing go-bag.

But actually this is right (and I perpetuated it, bad mod) so anyone who wants to continue this part of the discussion should go to the AA thread.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I think I started an AA debate. Preparing go-bag.

But actually this is right (and I perpetuated it, bad mod) so anyone who wants to continue this part of the discussion should go to the AA thread.

AA discussions usually create more heat than light, so my fault there. Also, OP, sorry I derailed your thread.

I will say that reading all the comments I don't think I was misunderstanding what you were describing, I think I'm just in the minority on this one.

tonidee

New

Postby tonidee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:36 am

I will be clerking for a judge of color and did not mention the judge's race in my cover letter. However, with many of my federal applications, I tried to find commonalities with the judge and article one or two in my cover letter.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�