Do grades matter less for clerkships after a period of legal employment?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Do grades matter less for clerkships after a period of legal employment?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:01 am

Is it plausible, feasible, possible that someone with bad grades from a good school (T20-lower T14 range, let's say) could make themselves attractive for clerkships after a period of sustained legal employment?

Anonymous User

Re: Do grades matter less for clerkships after a period of legal employment?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 am

I know UVA has been successful placing below-median alums in district court clerkships in non-DC/NY type markets, especially in districts they practice in.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:27 am

I think so. I think that because clerkship hiring is so tied to a judge's personal opinion/preferences, it's possible to get the attention/interest of a judge without objectively great grades. Perhaps the best way is through connections, but employment is also really helpful (and can help develop connections, too).

There are judges with hard cutoffs, though, so you'd probably need to apply pretty broadly (although that's true of almost any candidate, really).

legalmindedfellow

Postby legalmindedfellow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I think this could be a way in to district clerkships (though perhaps not the most selective?)

Conversely, I don't think sustained legal employment would move the needle for a COA if the credentials aren't there (unless district -> employment -> COA).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:21 am

I might be a freak case, but I landed COA after a few years of work and medianish grades from HYS.

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I might be a freak case, but I landed COA after a few years of work and medianish grades from HYS.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:11 am

I might be a freak case, but I landed COA after a few years of work and medianish grades from HYS.

Actually, you'd be a 'freak case' if you couldn't land a CoA form S or Y from median....(just look at their public stats).

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Yeah, it would be tough from Harvard, but it looks like pretty expected from S or Y.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 pm

My judge hires exclusively alumni and work experience matters much, MUCH more than grades. He's never told me his standards for grades, but I was median from T1 with 2 years' experience, and I'm almost certain a previous clerk did terribly at a T6. Other clerks are all over the preftige/grade scale, but we all had good, relevant experience.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Big Dog wrote:

Actually, you'd be a 'freak case' if you couldn't land a CoA form S or Y from median....(just look at their public stats).

I mean, it's only like 15% or less at COAs straight out, but yes with work experience + median grades + applying broadly it's probably more likely than not from Y/S (not that "median grades" is a thing at Y).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah, it would be tough from Harvard, but it looks like pretty expected from S or Y.

This is the anon from above who thinks they might be a freak case. It was meadianish grades from H.

cryingashley

Postby cryingashley » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Yeah, it would be tough from Harvard, but it looks like pretty expected from S or Y.

This is the anon from above who thinks they might be a freak case. It was meadianish grades from H.

Hi anon!

Medianish grades from H with work experience, interested in clerking. Any way I could shoot you a personal message to chat? Trying to figure whether to embark on the application journey ...

Thanks!

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”