merits of trial court clerkship?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

merits of trial court clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:42 pm

I know these aren't thought to be prestigious, but I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience as a trial court clerk or just general thoughts on the pros/cons of a one year trial court clerkship. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and feel free to point me elsewhere

Anonymous User

Re: merits of trial court clerkship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm

I am a state appellate clerk, but I work in the same courthouse as state trial court clerks. The trial court clerks I talk with have really enjoyed the experience. They mostly knew that they wanted to litigate (civil or criminal). A lot of them did want more prestigious clerkships, so trial court was a second choice for many of them, but they are still satisfied.

Some differences between my job and theirs:

Hours depend largely on the judge and what type of docket the judge is assigned to at the time.

They do have to do administrative work to help the courtroom run in an orderly fashion.

The biggest difference is that they get to work with attorneys that appear before the court. As an appellate clerk, we get little to no interaction with the attorneys on appeals before us. The trial court clerks were able to network and build relationships with attorneys by virtue of their job. Many of the trial court clerks were able to find employment for after their clerkship as a result of this, and many of them had jobs before the appellate clerks did. Granted, the jobs that they were looking at were often different -- for the most part, they focused on small firms that regularly appeared before the court, whereas the appellate clerks were looking at midlaw and BigLaw.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”